Can someone show me photos of a turbo vac setup?

Heyo

I was wondering if anyone can show me their turbo or diffusion pump setups? I just wanted to look at the configuration with cold traps etc.

I’ve got access to an Edwards e1m80 for super cheap. Was thinking if that thing hits 40-50 micron backing it up with a turbo might be a good option for me to run a 20L+ short path.

I know I need to protect the pumps extra. But just wanted to see how everything was rigged up, placement of traps/pumps etc.

2 Likes

So this is the “show us how much you suck” thread?

I was hoping there might already be useful images in Lets see your set up (short path edition)

My guess is there will be eventually.

4 Likes

No Photos in that thread either lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend a turbo on a short path unless your cold trap game is insane. Diffusion would be better and take more of a beating. There are too many surges of vapors that will kill your turbo and be dangerous. We use a turbo on our wiped film backed with an e2m80. My suggested cold trap configuration if you were to try this would be:

KF-40 stainless cold trap with immersion chiller or dry ice slurry (-80 C)
Second elevated (look up elevated cold trap method) KF-25 stainless cold trap with liquid nitrogen (-196 C)

1 Like

lay it out like this.

2 Likes

Turbos can only be used with a helium cryo carbon bed in Distillation. It’s not worth it. Diffusion is stronger and quicker with mixed vapor qualities. Turbos shouldn’t be used and they can cause severe injury when they blow. I have pics of turn up turbos used in cannabis from people who didn’t listen to me and decided to order one anyways.

1 Like

I prob wouldn’t use this but it’s close.

This is useful for what we do on setups.

https://summit-research.tech/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/SPD-4-MPD-Dual-22L-Diff-NO-BURN-INa.pdf

2 Likes

If your traps are good you don’t need the sogevac. I like to run several cold traps and a desiccant trap, it seems like one trap is never enough.

1 Like

I agree that diffusion pumps are the way to go. Turbos are great for dry setups (think mass spectrometers, etc.), but are very sensitive to pressure excursions. Many of them shut down if they sense a pressure burst, and can’t be restarted until they spin down quite a ways…NOT what you want in the middle of a run!