Can I separate fats and waxes from my hte using a centrifuge?

You can turn your diamonds into isolate

Aren’t diamonds isolate?

7 Likes

I’ve got a speed mixer I can turn them into dust forsure haha

1 Like

That they are.

But, just like most terms in extraction, evidentially, they are interchangeable or devoid of the true meaning…

Or…

Wrong all together.

ie: CO2 extraction is solventless (that one is still being used :rofl:)

Isolate is short for isolation (meaning single). Isolate for most, when they hear it, means a “powdered diamond”. :man_shrugging:t2:

what are your spin settings to do this?

Depending which bottle you’re using, you might see up to three.

N-pentane. Bp ~36C
Iso-pentane Bp ~28C
Neo-pentane Bp ~9.5C

3 Likes

Hey everyone, no idea if this is where I should be posting. I’ve been doing R&D on centrifuge tech for solventless applications for a few months and I need to find people smarter than me to help with my latest project. I’m attempting to use HTE as a solvent to attempt to pull lipids from the THCa using the fuge to purge the HTE. Currently I’m adding HTE from an “origin” spin that gives me the HTE to use to saturate the rosin. I spin and collet the HTE at the bottom. Hoping if I can make the HTE act as a solvent to clean lipids then filter the HTE through like a 1u filter. What is the average size of the fats/waxes? Need to make sure I’m selecting the correct size filters. How much of rosin is made of lipids? I understand that is going to be variable but a ball park would be nice. I don’t know how much “trash” I’m looking for or even what lipids will look like when separated. Any idea on density of lipids? Where should I see them positioned? Bottom of the tube? Half way? Top? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nah, Rosin press go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was probably not the right place to post.

Maybe read the whole thread it has been moved to… Can I separate fats and waxes from my hte using a centrifuge?

Also seems unlikely to be effective. Certainly the

Why?

Same reason @NitroCat’s “filter the fuck out of it” won’t work.

Because you’ve got no idea of the scale….to filter those fats out you’re looking in the 2.5nm range. Which is 100x finer than the 0.2um you’re trivially able to obtain.

Skipping the filter and pelleting the fats/waxes may work. Depending on how many G’s you can achieve. (See above)

How could you figure that out? (Hint: use a solvent, this is science not religion).

Might make sense to figure out if there are any to remove first…same methodology as testing the HTE…

Edit: if at first you find no fats, try ACN

1 Like

Fixed that for anyone following who stumbles upon a 2nm filter and says “waitaminute this is gonna solve all my problems then” … Because it’s not.

1 Like

Absolutely!!
(Wait, was that 2.5nm nominal?)

I tried this and it worked, by the way. If your oil is thin like HTE you can run it through a membrane, no solvent required. Of course I doubt it will be “utterly” fatless, but as you point out with the discussion on ACN, is anyone really totally fatless? Is that something anyone actually needs? My opinion is that there are always more fats to be found, if you’re willing to try more and more extreme conditions of winterization…

I used to winterize at -20, single pass through a coffee filter, and I was still getting 99% distillate (see my first post on this forum). And it was crystal clear, too. IMO people chasing fats past that point are wasting their time hunting down quantities of fat that are below the potency margin of error of their final lab results…

1 Like

Check this ”just spin it!” trick:

…over, under, through, around.

:rofl::joy::rofl:

Are we haz’ing spun yet?

1 Like

They didn’t invent this, but it is a neat idea:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0376738808006182

They claim they can get surface shear rates 100x what TFF does. Of course the downside is these systems are both new, and expensive, and not a lot of variety of membrane disc chemistries available.

1 Like

I actually spent a year trying to rent one of these systems and after a year of talking about it they no-quoted me.

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved:

That sucks.

All for the sake of that membrane extrusion water soluble process I was working on. After that waste of a year I was like “yeah, not doing that again, i’m just going to post on Future and see if anyone else picks up the torch”.

I’m not trying to filter the HTE in the fuge unless that’s my only option. I have been able to clarify my HTE just by spinning and collecting more trash on the bottom of the tube. I do this unfiltered. I was interested in attempting to filter Through a .22u without any solvents. Maybe using nitrogen to push. But the first part is to identify if the HTE is being effective at all at removing any fats and waxes. Step 2 figure out if the HTE can be filtered with some measurable percentage. If step 2 can’t be achieved that doesn’t mean that step 1 of my theory is negated. There could still be applications if step 1 provides any type of positive result.

I’m not a scientist, I have no degreee, I will be as technical as I can be and I am trying to learn.

yep.

Which is why I tried to point you at EVERYTHING you needed…

AND why it was left “some assembly required”…

Did you start at the top?
Did you follow the links?

Did you learn of “winterize”?

Explicitly: See if you have anything that is not soluble in cold ethanol/methanol/acetonitrile.

Use mass balance to understand how much fat you’re dealing with.

…but If you are spinning the hte off of the thca, you have already “filtered it a a fuge”.

The very fancy fuge linked would work…but nobody was suggesting you ought purchase one.

It would simply be one way of achieving the MWCO’s that would “filter” your fats and waxes out. The same membranes (1000 times finer than that “1um”) could be used without that fuge.

only way you are likely to have success is to use differential sedimentation (referred to as “pelleting” up thread and elsewhere)

You will see folks showing examples of that up thread.

You may find that it’s “fines” (thca) that pellets, and that any actual fats/waxes show up as a lower density layer at the TOP of your tube.

Using the scientific method (in this case 190proof ethanol) you can tell which of those are fats…

guess. Test said guess.

what does a “positive result” look like if you have no way to collect and measure the fats/waxes?

Same page yet?

@cyclopath thank you! Let me get through what you have given me.

1 Like