Can Filter Size Effect Cannabinoid Yield? Is 0.2um Too Small?

Hi,

So I got a new 20" cartridge filter and it came with 0.2um PP filters. I winterized 500g of CO2 crude (from high CBD hemp) in 5L of 190 proof ethanol and ran it through a 100um filter and then the 0.2um.

I consistently get about 40% cbd at 0.8% THC. This time however after using the 0.2um filter all the cannabinoids have pretty much halved but the overall weight is roughly the same. Could the filter be to blame? Could their be cannabinoids absorbed into the filter that just need washing through?

Any ideas would be great!

Cheers,
Kit

We use 1 micron filter bags and recently picked up a centrifuge. The filter bags were retaining 5 gallons of tincture in the biomass after dripping, so it doesn’t seem unreasonable that your filter is retaining product. You could try purging the cartridge with N2 to see if you get anymore product out.

If there was some liquid left in the filter then wouldn’t that just result in a loss of overall weight rather than lower cannabinoid %?

Good point, sorry, it’s early hah.

Ha no worries man, I’m not even sure if I’m right about this so…

1 Like

I think that’s the same pore size as summit’s stage 3 filter and I’ve never had an issue with those

1 Like

Hello K, what is the 0.2um media made from? Do you know if its a membrane or micro-fiber media 0.2um rated filter? These can influence the answer to your question. Thanks, Greg

1 Like

total weight unaffected, but cannabinoids halved?
only way to do that is to isomerize.

0.2um poly propylene?

shouldn’t hold onto your cannabinoids or cause isomerization.

there are membranes that will retain your cannabinoids, but those require on the order of 600 PSI to push the ethanol through and retain the cannabinoids. pores are several orders of magnitude smaller than 0.2um

1 Like

Thats what I thought. I’m starting to think that the lab mad a mistake. Getting them to double check. Its a Poly propylene membrane filter.

2 Likes