Can CBG be chemically/synthetically converted to CBD?

Obviously, yes. However I’m curious under what conditions the transformation could take place non enzymatically. I’m either dealing with a contamination issue (most likely, but I’ve been unable to pinpoint the source) or somehow CBG is transforming to CBD in my process (unlikely).

Still, I’m always interested to know about cannabinoid conversions so I still want to know if and how this is achievable. Maybe someone with a bit more chemistry knowledge could point me in the right direction?

2 Likes

May I ask why you’d want to convert CBG to CBD?

2 Likes

I listened to a very interesting talk at Emerald Conference some years back about the enzyme responsible for this conversion and at the time it was understood that the enzyme was “promiscuous” and responsible for both the THC and CBD pathways. The cause of it biasing to one or the other was unknown. I’m sure more research has been done since then but it was a very interesting topic.

Not sure if Emerald Scientific is on here or if they’d be upset if I added the talk to the data dump, I think I still have it somewhere

6 Likes

They don’t. Read it again. Trying to solve a mysterious appearance.

They think the conversion to CBD might be happening in process. Or CBD might be showing up due to (in process) contamination.

Might also just be a segregation/sample size issue. Can’t tell from process description :thinking:

2 Likes

I think the main hypothesis is varying pH-Eh conditions in the synthesis medium.

3 Likes

When you say the synthesis medium, what are you referring to? Certainly it can’t be as easy as the pH of the growth medium for the plant, right? I have a bunch of supposedly CBD-dominant strains we popped that test at nearly 0 CBD lol. Nothing like some CBD Nuke’em that literally doesn’t have CBD in it. I always assumed it was because they were bullshit Mexican ditchweed even though they came from reputable sources.

1 Like

I’m dealing with the intracellular pH.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. I wonder what the best way to manipulate that is, probably a fairly complicated thing to do without harming the plant

No, there is not a synthetic way to do this from CBG. This is a very special enzymatic process that humans wish we could replicate as it would open the door to so many new processes. CBD and CBG both have 2 degrees of unsaturation, so any addition to the alkenes to help drive cyclization is a nono without a later dehydrogenation step. Carbon carbon coupling is not a typical organic reaction, which is what you would need to make this happen in one step. If you’re trying to do this and you’re not a chemist with analytical equipment then I say there is zero chance of success. If you are a chemist, with equipment to characterize you’d probably not try this at all since there are easier reactions worth more money to research imo

3 Likes

There def is a way to do this however its multistep, and def not ocurring in my process. mechoulam did it with dimethyl ether of cbg as protecting groups than demethylated the OHs… I cant get too detailed with why, but I think I am just dealing cbd contamination in my equip preo cbg runs

1 Like

My sense is you have residual CBD

1 Like

I would agree. But, there is definitely a clear synthetic route from CBG->CBD fyi… just took me days to find it. And obviously its not an economical reaction, I never wanted to do it, I just wanted to know if it was possible and how.