Cactus swinging contest 🌵

My collection is in its early days certainly, but definitely rewarding so far. Let’s see what you’ve got! I read the paper that’s recently been shared here regarding actives potencies, but does anyone have any specific quantification on species they are cultivating or potentially breeding because if so that would really be flexing your cactus!
I’m going to try some of these in a tent with some led lights I’ve got from Home Depot over the winter.

15 Likes

This is what I got going on these days for the San Pedro.

My prickly pear cuts are pupping like crazy lately. They like way more sun compared to Pedro. The more the better.

9 Likes

Badass man, I haven’t propagated any yet but next summer I’ll make some cuts and work on multiplying! Do you use anything to induce pupping?

3 Likes

Thanks man. This hobby is addicting.

I’ve heard of people using clonex rooting hormone and elemental sulfur powder to induce rooting, but I don’t use anything personally. I’ve heard people say the hormone and the sulfur get taken up into the plane and can accumulate. Not sure about that scientifically, but I just skip it altogether and haven’t had any issues except I’ve had one cutting rot I tried to plant without perlite. At least for me it seems like I have a 100% success rate at rooting as long as I use at least 50% perlite for the rooting of new cuttings.

I just take a freshly sharpened kitchen knife, sterilize it with iso, then make the cut.

I leave the cutting on its side outside until the cut scarrs over then put in soil. This takes 2 weeks for me. Then just leave at least 1 inch or the cutting below the soil and whatever you do, don’t touch it or mess with it in any way! Don’t even move the pot for 2 months. After 2 months you can kinda squeeze the cutting and it’s a little soft from not getting water from lack of roots and lack of being watered (don’t water initially). Then give it a little water and in the next day or two the cutting should feel harder if it took up the water through its fresh new roots.

14 Likes

Peruvianus X Pachanoi…grown from seed

18 Likes

Wow. From seed! Super cool!

2 Likes

Some dumb bitch ran it over so I potted the broken pieces

13 Likes

I’m trying a little experiment the moment too. I took progressively smaller and smaller cuttings to see technically what’s the smallest cutting that can be technically rooted outside of tissue culture conditions.

15 Likes

Not much of a flex but heres a lophophora diffusa. Grown from seed. It flowered twice this summer.

16 Likes

Love this thread! My aloe and I have had a lot of ups and downs over the last 12 years or so. Really enjoying seeing all the succulent and cactus plants!

2 Likes

Kinda looks like a williamsii. Diffusa has more of a star shape and some color banding.

2 Likes

ive been nursing this garden back to health. Its been though 2 sheriff raids and 1 code enforcment visit.10 years ago during 2nd raid someone chopped the sanpedro’s up. The crested ones wer 3.5ft tall and had buttons grafted all over . A decade later things are coming along . Some of the lopho w… are over 40 years old. One of the sanpedros came from the arcata humboldt hydroponics window in 2003 . This is a federally licensed garden and has been to court and won . Know and practice your constitutional rights.

21 Likes

just have one. was given a cutting last year.
did not winter well top was tiny. so i cut it off
this spring. got 4 pups 3 on top and one on bottom.

11 Likes

I’m jealous of your triple topper. How did you do that?!?!

2 Likes

well top got skinny over the winter. so cut it off
this spring. just luck for the 4 pups.
what is the best way to over winter them ?

1 Like

Had to look back into it . The differences between diffusa , fricii and williamsii are quite similar and theres more species that arent yet catalogued along with cross breeding mutations and grafting . I believe nature, science and culture will become more in tune with eachother soon. The elders of the mescaleros … dine , hopi etc are more understanding than science is currently.

Just got gifted this collection :partying_face:

Bonus points for the cactus wiener right?

10 Likes

kept covered all winter. grew a lot of white. then i sun
burned it by putting into sun. will put in shade for 2 weeks
next spring. but had grown out of the sunburn pretty well.

4 Likes

What a fun thread to hop upon! Hope i can find some juicy past photos from milwaukie :sunglasses: nothing but love and peace :heart: