C1D2 Camera Question

Hi, I am looking for an affordable option to get a camera inside my C1D2 extraction booth. I have found some decent options but was curious from a safety/regulation standpoint if something like this would work or would be safe?

Could I place a standard non-rated WiFi camera inside of a rated explosion proof enclosure like this and it still be safe and compliant for a C1D2 environment?

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/product/150311/explosion-proof-device-box-instrument-enclosure-class-i-ii-iii-div-1-2-3-lens?utm_campaign=18928601653&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=&keyword=&adgroupid=&gclid=CjwKCAiA0JKfBhBIEiwAPhZXD7ez-lHVT2TWoyA149bReiJ_9c57HL4MYh4Pv43n9jjDk0OA9hrXQxoCpM4QAvD_BwE

And short and most correct answer is that this is a question you’re going to need to pay a professional to answer in writing and put a stamp on it.

Up here in Canada you’d be looking for a code consultant to review your design and sign off on its acceptability.

On the cannabis regulatory side, I expect that Health Canada might say something like “you can’t have something in front of the camera, it can block the image.”

With that said, your jurisdiction might be less dumb, and this seems to me like a perfectly reasonable approach to solving the “c1d1 cameras are expensive” problem.

Add in a purge and pressurization system and its about as safe as one can get.

4 Likes

That’s a question for the person putting a PE (professional engineer) stamp on your plans not unpaid randos who probably aren’t in the same area you are on the internet.

That said, if the enclosure and the system its connected to (all conduits/elbows/etc) is rated to meet C1D2 it doesn’t matter what item(s) is inside the enclosure unless they’re going to melt a hole in the box.

2 Likes

there is no cheap option for this

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies so far. I absolutely understand that at the end of the day the PE is going to have to sign off on whatever is done but I figured asking if anyone had done something like this before would be a good start to get a feel for if it is even reasonable. Will likely end up just snagging the rated camera for the project but always like to question things first to understand the whole scope of regulations a little better.

This is definitely your safest option, because it doesn’t require your stamping professional to think.

The box should be fine. I’d use one. But it is different than the simplest and most common way of solving the problem, and mental flexibility isn’t something that you can count on from PEs and regulators and their ilk.

3 Likes

It all depends on your local regulating/inspecting body and the sheer size of your engineers balls.

1 Like

I figure since you are looking at a $650 enclosure youd be good with a $700 ish dollar c1d1 camera from larson? It will come with the certificate and stamp @Lincoln20XX is talking about and you dont have to worry about something blocking the camera as its built that way.

Larson had decent camera. Make sure your A/V guy uses the right kind of conduit getting it to your room with good seals.

Dont let some security dude convince you that you need some 3000 fucking camera. Hsd one do that to me last year and I told him where to go. :garbage:

3 Likes