C1D1 Odor Mitigation

So I have a HAL C1D1 booth that I’m setting up in our lab in Massachusetts. Due to a series of issues, we ran out of space for an in-duct carbon filter due to space restrictions.

That being said, is there a rated filter we can place INSIDE the HAL? Like a can-fan style or similar? The only goal is odor mitigation.

Thanks!

(Sorry if this is the wrong topic)

2 Likes

im not sure if theres something off the shelf for this; but what id personally do is use a explosive proof fan; put a c1d1 plug onto it; and duct it into a 6" AC filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Explosion-Proof-Electric-Axial-Fan/dp/B07KK9DK8Y

this way worked for me at one of my spots; all ears for a “cleaner” solution

3 Likes

What processes are you running?

Just CLS?

Or distillation too?
Distillation produces deathly odors that require heavy air scrubbing

And what type of post processing?
Vacuum purging shatter will be much louder than jar tek for example

So we have general odor control for our post processing and distillation areas. The only area missing odor control is the C1D1 unit with our CLS in it (70/30 butane/propane), which we’re trying to find either rated filter for in-room use or a very low profile in-duct solution.

Sounds like you don’t have the proper cfm running through the booth to keep a continuous Negative pressure flow out of the booth. I would suggest starting there & hepa carbon air scrubber inline on the ventilation out.

Why hepa filter the exhaust?

Carbon filter will do the job

1 Like

Helps break down additional smell the carbon filter won’t, I use hepa carbon filters for my ac vents at home & you don’t smell anything with them, I also run 2 air scrubbers with them rated for 250sqft.

I know of a design that has them inline on a mister system to deteriorate the smell of a cultivation that’s currently at over 60k sqft canopy indoor. Pretty neat, some guy told the cop he could see the smell coming out of the building :joy:

Did anyone ever figure out a solution for this? I am running into a problem with the neighbors complaining about the smell at my licensed facility. The c1d1 booth’s exhaust is 18in duct so idk about an inline filter. Duct an ozone generator into the exhaust?

Might want to discuss that with the fire marshal or your 3rd party engineer first.

The ozone isn’t problematic, but the way it’s generated looks like something I’d prefer to keep away from my booth exhaust ducting

“Coronal discharge” is not a euphemism for “Covid cough”…

3 Likes

Definitely do not put ozone anywhere near a hazardous exhaust.

I used to treat plastic plates with a “Corona Treater” that would generate a bunch of ozone by creating a field of plasma with high voltage or high frequency or a combination of both. I would imagine that inline ozone generators rely on a similar technology.

Either way, it looks like a bolt of purple lightning–don’t think it and butane would get along too awful well.

2 Likes

Agree, not a good idea to attach an ozone generator to the duct. Also, keep in mind any additional filtration could increase the static pressure and reduce the air flow of the room.

1 Like

What kind of fumes are you trying to remove? Your 70/30 shouldn’t smell like anything, since the gas isn’t odorized unless there’s not enough airflow like @Cheebachiefextracts said, but you should worry more about fires than odors in that case.

AC should work pretty well for hydrocarbon gases. You may want to consider a wet scrubber if you’re trying to handle a broader range of odorants/exhausts (distiate, crude decarb etc.), this video is for acid/alkaline gases so the media is functionalized for that, but you could use whatever media you want (AC+clay) and soapy water for lab use. Not sure if your HVAC person can do it. I’m having to whip one up myself, but it’s pretty simple; just a pump, some tubing, spray nozzles, PVC and some mesh. Note this is not a good idea for hydrocarbon gases since they will likely pool inside the scrubber and possibly explode eventually.

2 Likes

Okay no ozone, forgot about the electrical discharge used to make it. I found that a 20x20 furnace filter covers the 18in duct, I’m going to order a carbon 20x20 furnace filter just to at least be able to say that we tried. We dont want this neighbor going to the township.