C1d1 in Maine

Yes sir hahaha

Most of the expenses for C1D2 will be identical with the exception of having a slower flow rate through your booth (I.e. a smaller fan). This might save you 2-4k. However ethanol evaporation at scale is a chore, so storage and equipment costs will likely go up to extract on any respectable scale.

1 Like

Nothin wrong with that man, its where everyone on this forum started. Get it while you can!

growers will soon be feeling the crunch too.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that… We knew it was comming… hopefully they get the fees under control…

Cool. Way its felt up here lately they may just do something totally different in a month. But yea it was definitely gonna happen. Might as well get it started now

That no bid contact was canceled. The state will be issuing a proper RFP for the seed to sale software.

https://www.maine.gov/dafs/news/press-releases/rfp-track-and-trace-system

AUGUSTA The Office of Marijuana Policy (OMP), a part of the Maine Department of Administrative and Financial Services (DAFS), today announced plans to seek bidders to provide a seed-to-sale tracking system for the adult-use marijuana and the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana programs.

DAFS announced last month that it had entered into a three-year contract with Franwell, Inc. for marijuana track and trace services utilizing Metrc. The tracking solution would have been deployed in Maine’s medical program, with plans for amending that agreement at a later date to expand Metrc to adult-use recreational marijuana.

Looks like C1D1 for ETOH extractions in ME. Buckle Up!

1 Like

Shit is getting real

Time to move to a warmer climate…

1 Like

For who?

My understanding is that medical marijuana caregivers and patients don’t have many requirements when doing etho extraction on their own material.

I thought it was extraction labs that process other people’s material that have more standards to follow.

1 Like

Not sure. Obviously, safety is biggest factor so rec or medical shouldn’t really matter . Would be nice if med was more relaxed though.

Draft rule for rec where just released earlier this week.

Haven’t done the lab part yet.

A copy of the draft rules is currently available for review on the DAFS website: https://www.maine.gov/dafs/services/marijuana/rulemaking/draft-rules. Parties interested in providing feedback in response to the preliminary draft rules may do so through the following page: https://www.maine.gov/dafs/services/marijuana/rulemaking/feedback.

The draft rules include the aspects of a regulated cannabis industry—including licensing, compliance, tracking, packaging, labeling, and enforcement—deemed major substantive by the legislature. Not included are rules on laboratories and testing, which are routine technical and do not require approval by the Maine Legislature prior to their adoption by OMP.

3.8.4 Extraction. A marijuana products manufacturing facility must conform with the standard operating
procedures for extraction methods described in its operating plan of record, with all methods of extraction to be
performed on the premises.
A. Generally safe extraction methods. The Department permits the following generally safe extraction
methods, so long as they are listed in the operating plan of record:
a. Mechanical extraction using:
i. Water and ice;
ii. Dry screening or sieving;
iii. Cryogenic or subzero processing not involving a solvent; or
iv. Pressure and temperature
b. Infusion of marijuana in food grade fats or synthetic food additives:
i. Propylene glycol;
ii. Glycerin,
iii. Butter;
iv. Olive Oil;
v. Other typical cooking fats.

B. Potentially hazardous extraction methods. The Department will permit potentially hazardous solvent
extraction using a 99 percent or greater purity of the following solvents, using storage, preparation,
electrical, gas monitoring, fire suppression, and exhaust systems methods approved in the operating plan of
record, so long as the solvents are listed in the operating plan of record and the end result does not exceed
allowable limits specified by the Department:
i. CO2 or;
ii. A liquid chemical, compressed gas or commercial product that has a flashpoint above 38
degrees Celsius or 100 degrees Fahrenheit

C. Inherently hazardous extraction methods. Upon certification by an industrial hygienist or professional
engineer that the manufacturing facility’s storage, preparation, electrical, gas monitoring, fire suppression
and exhaust systems are adequate, the Department will permit inherently hazardous solvent extraction
using a 99 percent or greater purity of the following solvents, so long as the solvents are listed in the
operating plan of record and the end result does not exceed allowable limits specified by the Department:
i. Butane;
ii. Propane;
iii. Acetone;
iv. Heptane;
v. Pentane;
vi. A liquid chemical, compressed gas or commercial product that has a flash point at or
lower than 38 degrees Celsius or 100 degrees Fahrenheit; or
vii. Any other chemicals prohibited by statute.

D. All flammable gas must be odorized in compliance with state and federal regulations.
E. Pressurized canned flammable fuel, including without limitation butane or propane in containers intended
for camp stoves, handheld torch devices, refillable cigarette lighters and similar consumer products are
prohibited for use in extraction.
F. As applicable, all licensees and employees must:
a. Work in an environment with proper ventilation, controlling all sources of ignition where a
flammable atmosphere is or may be present;
b. Use proper eye protection, respiratory protection, and gloves; and

Page 42

This preliminary draft is a working document that is subject to further revisions.
c. Use only potable water and ice made from potable water in processing.
d. Undergo safety training on fire prevention and safe operation of equipment used for
manufacturing.

G. A marijuana products manufacturing facility performing extraction shall be subject to inspection by the
local fire department, building inspector, or code enforcement officer to confirm that no health or safety
concerns are present.

https://www.maine.gov/dafs/services/marijuana/rulemaking/draft-rules

On the medical side the statues specificities that etho isn’t an “inherently hazardous substance”

https://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/22/title22sec2422.html

4-E. (CONFLICT: Text as enacted by PL 2017, c. 452, §3) Inherently hazardous substance. “Inherently hazardous substance” means a liquid chemical; a compressed gas; carbon dioxide; or a commercial product that has a flash point at or lower than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, including, but not limited to, butane, propane and diethyl ether. “Inherently hazardous substance” does not include any form of alcohol or ethanol.

https://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/22/title22sec2423-A.html
This is in the authorized conduct section for both patients and caregivers.

J. (CONFLICT: Text as enacted by PL 2017, c. 452, §4) Manufacture marijuana products and marijuana concentrate for medical use, except that a qualifying patient may not manufacture food, as defined in section 2152, subsection 4, unless the qualifying patient is licensed pursuant to section 2167 and except that a qualifying patient may not produce marijuana concentrate using inherently hazardous substances unless authorized pursuant to section 2423-F, subsection 3; [2017, c. 452, §4 (NEW).]

exactly so which rules trump the other? is it possible to process for caregivers only and stay within the rules of med or will these manufacturing rules trump MMMP rules

I would jump on a C1D1 lab pod in a heartbeat. Way cheaper than building out.

Reach out to Alex:
c1d1labs@gmail.com
IG: @c1d1labs

4 Likes

As it stands, the rec rules are only a draft, so they have no power. They can and will change.

On the medical side, L.D. 238 passed last year, was vetoed, then the veto was over-ridden, so it is currently law.
https://legislature.maine.gov/legis/bills/bills_128th/chapters/PUBLIC447.asp

They still haven’t done the rule making for manufactures on the med side, so its hard to say what they will do…but I think the med and rec manufacturing side will eventually have the same rules.

1 Like

They will require c1d1 for etoh once the fire marshal gets involved more with the cannabis extraction business…

I went the container route for our temp facility. As soon as the main facility is up and running all the containers go to the next property and we will repeat.

5 Likes