C1D1 & Fire Suppression Shortcut to Purchase

Recently i had to wade through all the bullshit in order to find an affordable C1D1 and C1D2 booth that will pass inspection for a legal recreational processor in Michigan. The knowledge I picked up along the way was priceless and I found that there is some price gouging going on but I did end up finding a good deal. All said and done I feel as if I got a decent deal but wasted a ton of time with ridiculous green tax estimates. I had estimates as high as $200,000 for a C1D1 booth with fire suppression and as low as $60,000 for a complete booth. All said and done I ended up purchasing just the booths and then purchasing the fire suppression afterwards. I am going to install the fire suppression and the booth was installed by the company that I bought it from. I was able to work a deal out with my rep to get the same discounts I received on additional booths and/or fire suppression kits. They come with the drawings needed for certification. If you’re interested in getting one, I am willing to help you out and get you a really good deal on a booth or fire suppression set up. To make it worth my while I will get a referral fee from my sales rep. So if you’re reading this and you are in the market to get a booth and/or a fire suppression set up shoot me a message and I will get you in touch with the guy that can hook it up for you at a decent price without all the nonsensical fishing that has to be done typically.

3 Likes

I have found that when the municipality allows it (most places do, only place I have heard you can’t is Oklahoma City proper)

It’s way more cost effective to BUILD a C1D1 room as opposed to buying an enclosure

You need a burn rating on the wall
Usually 2 hours so green rock

You need to have zero wiring in any of the walls

You need to have intrinsically safe equipment like lighting and camera enclosure and LEL meter and exhaust fans

You need to have minimum air circulation of like 2 room exchanges per minute( dont quote me on this and it changes place to place)

I have had contractors build a few of these and you need an architect with an engineer to make it all kosher but you need that with an enclosure anyway

4 Likes

I totally agree with you and if I had to do it again I probably would take on the task of doing this. However my business partners wanted a quick , efficient, and easily certifiable way for this first processing center that we are opening.

Perfect size booth for me. How much said and done @apollojmr? Nice job!

2 Likes

We got the c1d2 which is the pictured booth for 45k including the fire suppression.

1 Like

Can confirm, this varies wildly from place to place. Some places base it on air exchanges. Some places want to see a CFM count. Some places want to see actual linear feet per minute of air movement through the entire space with no dead spots.

The first fire marshal I talked to about getting a C1D2 container approved just listened to my presentation on air changes and whatnot and said “yup, sounds good to me”. Didn’t even come out to look at it.

Also, something everyone keeps leaving out when talking about building their own booths is: how much is your time worth? I hear a lot about parts and pieces costing X dollars, but what is that time worth that you spent researching and reaching out to vendors and building the booth? Not to mention, if you draw the short straw and get a pain-in-the-ass inspector who doesn’t approve your design, how much is it worth to be able to send an email or pick up the phone and have a team take care of it for you?

Not saying that OP is in that boat, I’m just doing my due diligence in trying to provide the prospective of a booth-maker in combatting accusations of “green tax”.

2 Likes

yea where we are its all about liner feet of airflow and making sure every part of the booth flows the same, no spots that stagnate ect.

1 Like

This is the most important question to answer when looking to DIY anything.

Can you do it cheaper? Almost certainly.

If you can at all afford the price of admission, many things trend towards “not worth doing yourself.”

Sometimes, you have no choice but to DIY. If you do have a choice, it’s frequently nice to be able to buy something that just works.

If you have to DIY, this might be a not terrible place to start:

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/product/224382/c1d1-explosion-proof-extraction-room-equipment-kit-designed-for-40-x-16-container-extraction-room

3 Likes

I completely agree with you on evaluating how much your time is worth. I took the lowest estimate that I had and compared it with a parts list to come up with a difference of around $20k. I did not install my C1D1 booth or C1D2 booth because I simply did not have the time or patience to do the whole thing and the $20k labor was ok in the end. I am however installing the fire suppression because the cheapest labor that I had found without doing a ton of searching around, came in at around $30k and I am not going to pay that much for something I know I can achieve in a few days. I’m ok with companies making profit, but price gouging is not ok with me. That is simply why I am offering the deal I got so others can choose to do the same if they would like to.

1 Like

I’m in Michigan as well and would definitely suggest building one. I built our first one back in 2019 with my team at the time. Once you read through the NFPA chapters and figure out what BFS (who we have do our fire inspections here in Michigan on the legal cannabis side of things) expects from you, I would imagine it would be a fraction of he cost if you also have the team with the construction know how to build it right and make it look nice.

I’m sure material costs are much greater now than they were back then, but I would imagine it’s all relative to a prefabricated booth.

2 Likes