Buy a hoop house kit or build one DIY?

As the tital says, I’m looking at buying a 14-20x40 hoophouse with all the bells and whistles. Inflatable Second layer, roll up sides, double doors on both ends, Intake with HEPA filter and a matching exhaust (already have these). Debating the best source of heat, propane or a wood stove (I have an extra one). If I did a wood stove I would add a wood end wall and put my stove pipe out of that. My only concern with a wood stove is the heat that is generated vertically, and if it would be to intense for the poly…

May just end up doing a bad ass DIY one…I would do a walpini but my preferred location for this is near a creek and I wouldn’t be able to dig very deep without hitting water.

Let me hear what your guys experiences are.

Note: this greenhouse isn’t for cannabis, it is for year round food production and a place for me to teach my kids about gardening, etc… (they are homeschooled)

4 Likes

Best source of heat is actually infrared mats (on benches) or a hot water heated concrete floor. Prep the area, put down the pex maze, and top with a thin layer nonshrink grout like sikaflex. Could even use the woodstove in conjunction with a 12v pump to heat and circulate the water.

9 Likes

I have been greenhouse growing tomatoes and spring plant starts for about ten years. The most cost effective design is chain link top rail. You can buy a bender and hand bend it. I sometimes use 1.5" emt conduit elbows to connect straight pieces. You can saw a 90 in half to make a 45. Top rail is great, but it sucks for snow load. A heavy wet snow will smash a lot of diy tunnels.

Basically, anything clear has an abysmal r value. I started out trying to heat a double poly 14 x 48 structure with wood. The highest I could get above the outside temp was about 15 degrees. The chinese have what I think is the smartest design. They roll a tarp or straw mat down at dusk each evening, then roll it back up in the morning. Think retractable roof stadium. You want clear by day but insulated at night. Alternatively, it is much easier to heat low tunnels over your crops than to heat the entire tunnel.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input bro! I definitely am concerned about snow load. This year was mellow, but we can get winters where we get 3ft…

You are welcome. I always love talking greenhouse stuff. With that much snow, I would probably look into a gothic arch design. I was into the idea for a while, but never built one. There is an ancient art of bending wood for ship hulls. It is possible to build a steam box for a piece of wood, firs work well, and after steaming it, clamp it into a frame to dry into an arch. A gothic arch structure is basically a ship hull turned upside down.

5 Likes

Deleted

If you end up going the DIY route, I’d recommend looking into Ceres greenhouse solutions. They have a great book on passive solar DIY greenhouses.

2 Likes

So I’ve done this. It is not an easy task. But god damn if I wouldn’t do it again to build a snow proof greenhouse. That’s an awesome idea man!

1 Like

I designed my own GH and found eco done to manufactured/build it. They are located in Nor Cali. I would suggest you go polycarbonate (panels) 8mm or better. Gothic roof. If heat is hitting 100F ambient I would go with a slight milky light refraction polyeutherane or subterranean growing. Run cross gable ventilation with fans circulating in-between the exhaust and induction fan. Check out this site. Your wallet won’t feel dat burn

@Dirteagle I like that idea. Sounds more efficient than LPG heating. I’ve been doing extensive research on tankless recirculating hot loop pex maze. This was for process systems but I didn’t even think of applying it this way. You ever been on a site with somebody using them? I’m wondering how much extra BTUs will be needed if the grout is making thermal resistance.

2 Likes

No idea on the btu specifics, but it’s how a lot of year round operations in the mid atlantic get a 4th season out of a 3 season structure. Keeps the plants from freezing.

If you can spring for a moisture barrier and 2+inches of foam on the ground before the pex that will improve efficiency.

3 Likes

You talking just like foam board? Or is there a specific kind that is more agricultural friendly?

1 Like

@Pupparoo Literally the purple rigid foam board insulation.

3 Likes

you may want to make the roof have a steeper pitch, that is how they do houses that see lots of snow.

3 Likes