Butane winterization

Have you used this particular unit? I purchased another similar unit that didn’t work well at all. I have been looking for a decent option.

No but I read it’s decent. I’m switching to making my own ice next year and I think I would go with this if I had to choose one…

:point_up:t2:Then again I’d also look into seeing how big the blocks are that it can make and how fast it can make 5lbs at a time.

Idk I guess it’s all preference. I’m all about saving money while still being safe and efficient so I’d have to look around more and maybe look for some sales. … Idk whatever I find I hope it’s UL listed and under 1k$

Making your own di is a waste of time and money imo. Based on everything I read those things aren’t efficient at all and will actually cost more for the same amount of ice (not Counting your time, whatever that’s worth) Cheaper to just to buy the shit.

Can you imagine making even just 50lbs with this thing?

Only place I can see this being helpful is you are only using di in cold traps, or something that doesn’t use that much di

4 Likes

Yeah I’d make my own dry ice for a cooling bath because the place I get my di from makes me buy mor than 5lbs at a time and I always get a deal of 30lbs for the price of 25lbs.

Idk there’s a part of me that wants to buy a maker but I know it’s not economically viable because of how often I do extractions which isn’t often. Just enough for me to have medicine.

Even a chiller. I want one probably because I think it looks cool and I’m jealous of the people who don’t have to use dry ice and can use precise subzero temps. But at the same time, I don’t have 3ph/220v electrical outlets to run those things for the short ass amount of time I would need to run them in the first place.

Even getting a pelletizer for dry ice is worthless unless you’re able to regenerate your own c02 at excessive quantities and are doing a fuck load of runs or using a lot of equipment that needs subzero cooling.

… Does the electrical costs and co2 costs outweigh the small fee of dry ice delivery or the price of dry ice depending on your volume of extraction yeah maybe but if you’re like me that only does a lb every so often then being excessive is being wasteful.

… I talked myself out of making my own di, I’d rather keep buying it.

Very well said, and thanks for saying it

1 Like

There are only two facilities that provide di where I am, and both are over an hour away. They require 48hrs notice and will only allow you to take it in coolers in the back of open bed pickups. Production scheduling gets complicated and I lose process flexibility. We use several hundred pounds per week in certain processes.
We have liquid CO2 onsite for other processes, so we’re looking for an alternative that allows us to run processes on short notice when needed (but not to replace the regular vendors).

1 Like

I guess look into a pelletizer or a larger machine that can make you bulk amounts of bricks. I wouldn’t go with anything like the one I posted if you’re industrial scale.

Edit : PR350H - Dry Ice Pelletizer - Cold Jet second edit : the cold jet does 350kg/hr

and this site with listings to used machines

https://dryiceclassified.com/used.htm

That’s very inconvenient.

I’m not sure what you mean ?

he was mentioning dewaxing. Im not sure if its a good idea to use a sintered, does it clog really bad without extreme cleaning?

They are not efficient all not even in the slightest. Youll spend more in gas to refill the bottles than you’ll save.