Butane Contaminant Demystified

For sure, on both counts!

The only chemical I didn’t link to at Duda Diesel is their EtOH. The links above for NaOH, KOH, and Iso are all for Duda Diesel :fist_right::fist_left:

And yeah, these strongly basic chemicals solutions aren’t anything to take lightly. Doubly so for the dH2O + base (KOH or NaOH) solution (prioer to adding EtOH or Iso) while preparing the base bath solution, which comes in about 20% w/w base. :adhesive_bandage: :safety_vest::

Full PPE is a must, including long sleeve shirt, shoulder length nitrile dipped gloves, pants, and safety goggles (not safety glasses) with at least an N95 face mask, but ideally a half-face respirator (an organic vapor cartridge [#60921] with an N100, R100, or P100 particle filter).

Just ask Edward Norton:

Edit:

I want to mention that anyone who wants to use this method must understand what they’re doing to avoid injury. There are many usage points I didn’t cover because I was only writing about base bath solution preparation, please read Dr. Choi’s complete SOP (it includes additional steps I didn’t cover, PPE, etc.). Also, I should point out that disposal of the base bath solution requires basicity neutralization with a dilute solution of weak acid until you reach a pH of 7-8.

1 Like