Butane Contaminant Demystified

Keep in mind, for folks reading this thread, this guy thinks he works with folks that have an enforceable patent on butane extraction.

1 Like

He is far from who you think he is. He’s very close to the age of gray wolf. I met him in Eugene, he’s quite a wonderful person and I am absolutely glad to meet him

12 Likes

100% this

4 Likes

“Butane method”…did have…they sold it.

1 Like

Approach @moronnabis with the respect you would photon, Graywolf or any other pioneers if you have any respect for what I have put forward. In my first interactions with him he frustrated me because he would put forth expected steps that no one did and no one had ever talked about. Honestly, I even wrote several frustrated messages to him that I ended up deleting after I thought more and more. In the end, every bit of frustration I felt I genuinely feel guilty for.

Literally the only thing he isnt extremely knowledgeable in is dumbing his message down to something easily understood by us. That could be very well be because the message he sends is so outlandish. Telling someone who bangs out sexy facets they don’t know what they are doing or even crystallising is a pretty crazy message and hard to articulate any way other than offensive. Like I said, a hell of a lot more to learn than we currently know, especially pertaining to the unique aspects of carbolic acids, which we all seem especially interested in.

If you are not searching the posts this guy has made and forefully digesting it to level the fuck up you are crazy and missing out on a huge part of the understanding that is why I can bang out boulders fast af. And @moronnabis Vegas odds I would take my own unknowns to knowns on crystallising of thca at 1000+:1 in a heartbeat. Check back in a few years I may be able to break that ratio :joy:

18 Likes

Maybe most. Certainly not ALL.

I personally went and replicated the “there is methanol in our gas?!?”…and posted the chromatogram within 24hrs of @Dukejohnson’s initial report.

Because you’re absolutely correct: if it can’t be REPLICATED it isnt science…

Much easier to ID an “unknown” if some other bugger gives you a clue where to look…

I’m working on obtaining a diethanolamine standard.

All I have is a GC fid, GC MS/MS would be more convincing.

I have convinced our third party lab to dig deeper into a dozen or so of our samples….now I’ve got to figure out which ones I want them to look at.

In my case we obtained tedlar sample bags, and added a sampling port to the system.

Samples are taken before loading gas into system, and/or from the working solvent IN the system.

I set this up (and documented it here for the rest of the class) BEFORE we started having fast crash issues.

Mainly to watch our solvent blend…

Do you have any analytics?

14 Likes

At first I thought you were under NDA, but this sounds different.

Can you explain any further what’s going on? Are you under an NDA?

I’m assuming this is why we haven’t heard from Rami, is that correct?

Can you at least tell us anything about Rami’s qualifications? Does he specialize in collecting and analyzing LPG samples?

If I know the cannabis industry, I’d bet people are jockeying behind the scenes to try and get the money for selling the solution before the problem is properly identified.

This is interesting, can you elaborate? What changed your thinking?

This is why I get so annoyed with people heaping on the praise and adulation right away instead of thinking critically. Especially with no real proof being presented and results not being replicated by an outside source.

Not that you shouldn’t receive any praise or recognition for the work you’re doing, you should, but it’s far from a “ring the bell, we’ve got it all figured out” moment. And again, I’m not saying you’re wrong.

This is kinda like the opaline silica thing.

I was wondering about this because methanol, with a BP of 148.5°F (64.7°C) would be mostly left behind in the collection pot after a clean-up distillation.

At the very least, as a batch of solvent is used over and over to make oil the effect should diminish as more of the methanol is removed with each successive batch.

What do you think about that?

I have nothing official.

Anecdotally I can say I have received test results before (a few years ago) with trace amounts of methanol and acetone. I mentioned to the lab that I don’t use either chemical and they said some BS like “oh yea the plant can produce acetone on its own”. They did a retest and what do you know? No methanol and no acetone on the retest.

I have never intentionally made diamonds but I have made plenty of live resin that just naturally formed diamonds on it’s own and I have never had the medusa problem. I haven’t made any diamonds recently though so don’t take that too seriously.

im surprised no one has named this phenomenon by its real name yet.

what yall are dealing with is the formation of a “polycrystalline aggregate”

this search term should yield some useful reading for better understanding the phenomenon.

seems the basic premise is understood tho, a water soluble contaminate is is acting like an antisolvent and forcing precipitation. Rapid precipitation causes a ton of nucleation points to form, the crystals growth is so quick that grain boundaries are formed between different crystal in different spatial orientations and that in turn disrupts the growth of larger structured lattices, hence them being brittle and powdery.

actually some pretty cool chemistry. havent been following this super close as im not a hydrocarbon guy, fascinating tho forusre.

28 Likes

awww shit we got @RockSteady in the hydrocarbon thread! diving down the rabbit hole now even further.

1 Like

It’s called spicy butane, sir. I’d appreciate it if you could get it correct. Ha ha.

Well, I get to focus on something new. Thank you, sir.

I’ll message you on IG and show you what I’ve been working on

12 Likes

Within the Merox treating process, when temps fluctuate in the reboiler or in the reflux, the surface tension of MeOH and DEA or MDEA changes in relation to their respective ratios, and can increase or decrease surface tension based on temp, which in my mind relates to how miscible it is.

Investigation of surface tension and viscosity for aqueous solutions of MEA-MeOH and DEA-MeOH.pdf (1.3 MB)
Surface Tension of N‑Methyldiethanolamine in Methanol.pdf (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Warmer extractions, maybe with solvent at -40c or -30c which include some degree of wax in the concentrate enables some of us to never see the medusa or fast crash.

7 Likes

Really, double DUH…one for the “Willbilly” and one for the “duke”.

Did someone say “butane solution” of carboxylic acids…
WTFamines and water…@rocksteady…you are on edge of
Confusing the “diamond business.”

Choose: terps, alkanes, ethers, alcohols or water.
Choose one and provide us with kinetic picture of
Crystallization dynamics…

Please inform.
You do understand I am being sarcastic…

7 Likes

Maybe everyone is worried that if they name it, it appears, like Candyman or Beetlejuice :scream:

Candymangif

1 Like

I prefer base baths to clean all my equipment of any organics. Im sure you could do an acidic wash to take care of any metals and such. Than again i wouldnt even link the SOP i copied from DR. Choi because to many people would end up in the ER from not using PPE/ DOing so in a enclosed area… few other things.

Quick google search for acid washes of metals/cleaning hydrocarbons took me to this

Impurities in benzene, toluene, xylene, [naphthas](https://www.sciencedirect.com/Find it yourself before i aid in harming others unintentionally), and industrial aromatic hydrocarbons are determined by a simple colorimetric analysis of an acid wash. A solvent is washed with BLANK …

Besides a normal flush of the system of water there are 7-8 other steps required/related to pipe cleaning. You can assume what industry i took this from based on the variety of solvents.

1 Like

This was soaked for 20 min after i distilled 10 liters of brown material extracted at 90 degrees F non winterized first pass. There are some awesome cleaning procedures but you cant simply just dispose of these like alcohol and such

2 Likes

We need a cleaning thread

7 Likes

Polycrystal, polycrystal, polycrystal

ive read like maybe 5% of the medusa thread posts so im unsure of where you guys are at on it. I can however say that ive been precipitating various acidic cannabinoids from etoh crude with antisolvents since like 2018 with great effect.

also just to add more food for thought, this contaminate that is acting as an antisolvent is very “aggressive” id venture to say that THCA is insoluble/barely soluble in it. butttt if what safeleaf says is true and is repeatable across all cases; then i would venture to say that the waxes and lipids are soluble in it.

sooo we have a mysterious contaminate that has the following potential characteristics;
THCA is probably insoluble/low solubility
Waxes are potentially soluble in it.
it is soluble/miscible in butane.
it is water soluble/miscible.

im sure im missing many more characteristics as like i said; ive read maybe 5% of the threads and will catch as my limited free time allows.

no skin in this gas game besides the general market health. wish yall the best of luck with figuring it out.

10 Likes

Or you could just boil ethanol through your system with the cold trap disconnected

Only thing I ever clean is the boiling flask itself the Ethanol gets everything else spotless

5 Likes

Right
Previous guy before be was using oven cleaner to clean his distillation equipment. What do you know cleaning up the material a bit before it hits the flask and cleaning it immediately instead of letting it sit overnight and all the sudden I didn’t need anything crazy to get shit spotless again.

4 Likes