Burnt rubber smell

All of the sudden i am getting a burnt rubber smell in my bho i changed flushed gas wiped everything and cleaned with ethanol. Changed all filters, running recovery water at 110 degrees but exterior jacket heats maybe to 90 feom twmp gun. Using a cmep ol recovery pump that was recently serviced. Been getting these smells in lastfew batches with different trim. Doing inline remediation w t41 (150 grams) t5(300g) 5lb material 40lbs of gas, no dewax. Smells like heavy lipids. Gas probably 20 -0 degrees no inkection coil. N2 push.

Where are you sourcing your gas? Did you switch suppliers? This could be the culprit of the burnt rubber smell. I assume you’re distilling your gas, do you notice the smell during distillation?

If you’re concerned about lipids it sounds like you already know what to do to run colder and alleviate that problem.

I did switch gas supplier recently but i thought i had removed all old gas from all the possible orifices. Could my vacuum pump be adding that odor to systwm when pulling vac? Doesnt make sense as its just pulling. Yeah i might have to put dewaxwer back on the line but id been having great sucess without it. Maybe ill get the gas temp to -20 or however cold di and ethanol w get. Ill see if that helps.

1 Like

Sounds like mercaptan

2 Likes

Not the matchstick og!!!

1 Like

I got the gas from a supplier in eugene supying cortland energy gas. I have already ditched that gas and we are getting it tested before we do anything with product. Still i am getting a bit of that smell still. cleaned inside of recovery tanks shot 2 galloms of 200 proof ethanol of nitro thru lines, hand cleaned every surface of stainless.

Not sulfur smells more like lipids and waxes usually smell in my dewaxer

Burnt rubber smell leads me to think it’s the solvent. Heavier levels of mercaptan as killa mentioned could cause this.

If you’re choosing not to dewax, getting your solvent as cold as possible will definitely benefit you. Also 40 lbs of gas for 5lbs of material is a bit excessive imo, at least at the temp you mentioned.

1 Like

no,no, its ak cuz it tastes like gunpowder terps

My guess would be fats waxes and lipids after they go through CRC it has a odd flavor like you described . I used the same gas source forever and ran into this issue after running too warm or too much solvent . Baking media could also help with this

I got aome stuff that originated from cortland and it smells like thw YMCA x100 after cleaned.

1 Like

Is that clean or a dis on the Y? I’ve never been in one.

Like chlorine, i guess would depend on the city im sure detroits ymca isnt the best and Cleveland was shit so maybe all of them

1 Like

I LOVE the smell of a freshly bleach clean area.

1 Like

not sure if this helps but I do remember having a similar problem with a source from a few years back and was told it was the result of “triterpenoids” and they would start bleaching to clear it up. next batch was great.

You sure it’s not the material? Have you tried running multiple sources and all coming out with the same burnt rubber smell? I just had that recently because of a grower using a sulphur burner in flower. But none of my other sources had that smell. That’s the second time I’ve encountered burnt rubber smell from the grower using a sulphur burner

3 Likes

So i switched the product and started running cold at same time. It was obvious when i said lipids and waxes guess i needed a sounding board. Temp of gas now probably around -40 (no thermocouple but reads -66 on exterior tank wall w temp gun). Taste and smell came back and it looks great. Thanks for the input team!

3 Likes