Build a Rotovap

the ultimate purpose for a rotovap

so community dev of the

would go to good use eventually :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

this seems like a really useful bit of lab equipment

1 Like

terpenes!!! :hugs::slightly_smiling_face:

I just bought my first rotovap and I am excited to get to use such a nice evaporation unit vs evaporating with heat and a stove

3 Likes

Okay, how?

1 Like

Given that the rotary seals are the difficult part, I’d start with a Rotovap…

Eg:

And @downtheterphole is correct that a diy FFE has many of the advantages a Rotovap does over a pot still (it’s also a thin film evaporator) and is missing that pesky rotary seal.

Additionally they are easier to set up in continuous duty that a Rotovap…

See: [Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator

2 Likes

Build a falling film instead. If you’re focused on solvent recovery, build a small one of these with off the shelf parts, or if you need more exotic parts, weld them (or hire someone), but these are very simple in their design; rotovaps have many limitations and are slow you will find!

One of the hidden cost of solvent recovery is chilling. Get the most powerful chiller (in terms of cooling capacity… kw or btus, not temperature).

I was designing my own falling film (cheapest one I could buy was 175,000!) so I designed one with parts I could buy for only 35,000. Half of that was the chiller, 10,000 for the actual steel, 2,500 for the heater and the rest is little stuff.

Does that unit pictures include the seal? I have a old buchi r-110 that looks like that sans the vapor duct.

Still don’t really understand how it all goes together to allow it to spin under vacuum.

Edit: I’m going to post a more thought out question once the coffee kicks in……

no clue. I’m in the “build an FFE instead” camp.

although I’ll work with whatever is lying around at the time :shushing_face:

1 Like

if you’re going to build a rotovap, I really do agree with the above. start with a rotovap.

I originally bought a no brand 1L roto on eBay for 600 new.

after some time with it I decided I wanted to upgrade. I also had a broken vapor tube. so I ended up finding a replacement for that and a round bottom 5L that attached. down the line, I might outfit it with a new condenser but I find that keeping the chiller cold and the vac at proper levels is how you optimize recovery rate.

8 Likes

Though it was build, not buy a used one.

1 Like

1st order of business is the rotary seal.

If you’ve got a rotary seal design you want to try or share, please don’t stop on my account.

If you don’t, you’ll get further down the road starting with a salvaged seal. It doesn’t need to come from a Rotovap, but that IS the easy place to look.

Stainless has enough advantages over glass that such a build would likely be a win.

You may or may not be better served by an FFE…

Depends on what you actually need.

Edit: @Rowan was playing with ferrofluid seals at one point, and might have a place you could go looking.

You’re looking at a 3year old thread.

Most of the folks around here that I would label as “up for this” have instead built FFEs.

Take from that what you’d like.

And check out Optimizing your RotoVap

Eg: Optimizing your RotoVap - #250 by SidViscous

And

1 Like

The cost to put together a little dinky rotovap
(An antiquated design in terms of thin film evaporation)
Is rediculous, when compared to the cost to build a benchtop falling film.

With that said….
I will be presenting my own fusion of timeless tradition and modern innovation before the clock strikes 12 tonight.

3 Likes

So it was detmined that this midnight thing was not correct.

I didn’t like the way it was oriented so i added some more bends

1 Like

Here’s a couple threads to chew on

:point_up:t2:Has small ffe ideas

:point_up:t2: Add your 2¢ I’m always looking for ideas.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the underlying idea; The solvent evaporates faster due to being spread over a larger surface area inside the rotating flask.

1 Like

I suppose the better question is what is the purpose of this is to ask what OP need this for (if they even care anymore). Is it for bulk solvent recovery? Is it general use? Or is it residual solvent recovery? Bulk is obviously an FFE, and you can make a small one with off the shelf parts for $1,000-$2,000. General use would be rotovap. Residual, you can actually get away if your temp is high enough (depending on solvent). Steel is always easier to handle than glass because glass sucks other than seeing what’s happening.

1 Like

5L rotavap - R&D, smaller batch production
20L rotavap - Scale up work, medium batch
FFE - Large batch production

A rotary evaporator is indispensable in a chemistry lab setting.

4 Likes

I think it’s just nice to have something where you can harvest the oils easier than a rotovap. A rotovap is a BITCH!!! At harvesting oils. I’m still gonna build a FFE at some point. It’s just that even at a small batch with just doing a 1lb eho extraction. Using 3.3 L/1 gal of ethanol it’s more worth it to make a mini ffe. I think that mini ffe are the future and should be used at all costs.

You can literally get your solvent out quicker and left with an easier to remove oil in a ffe than a rotovap. Once I build a functional ffe that completely decimates the time my 5l roto takes to evaporate 3.3L then I’m going to store my rotovap away.

1 Like