Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

I don’t actually use methanol at all, 190 proof ethanol works just fine, also the toxicity of methanol is a bit of a turn off, though we do have a proper fume hood and ppe to work with it. Between the two though, methanol is better at crashing out fats and lipids than ethanol is. Thats the only reason people are trying to use it.

1 Like

I didn’t read the while thread and it looks like you are in your way but I had good results extracting hemp CBD shake into oil using the crick pot method.

Lots of hemp in lots if water. Add salt to make the chlorophyll more water soluble and a small amount of coconut oil or butter. Summer for 2-4 hrs. Strain and separate oil from water. If you can chill it coconut oil or butter will become solid and you lift it out.

In Morocco hash making is centuries old. You could get all the supplies you need there. Or learn what local items could be used for trichome collection. I believe they beat whole plants in a screen and collect piles of crystal.

1 Like

A question…I’m doing the extraction with cold ethanol (-60c), and the tinture is ambar. Do you run the carbon scrub even if you didnt get any green color?

You can but don t have to
I personaly run a bentonite activated alumina scrub to prevent the reds
But @Akoyeh has the T5 /activated carbon sop with beautiful results
As has @Renchi and the @TheLostBiologist

2 Likes

Hmmm maybe that´s why my distillates tent to be redish-amber. I was wondering if the carbon scrub was something I was missing…
guys do you mind share with me that SOP so I can try?

In the above SOP are the basics for how a few of us like to CRC ethanol extractions. If you are extracting at -60C, you should not need to CRC your tincture. I am guessing there is something slightly off in your SPD protocols. Last place I was with, I extracted at -45 to -50C with no CRC before short path. Gave me beautiful results on a crappy Chinese 2L system every time.

3 Likes

How are you winterizing? Is there a foul smell to the distillate?

After extraction with the super cold ethanol (-60C) I just filter to separate biomass from tinture and then another filtration to remove fines then tinture goes to rotovap. I do not perfom another winterization. Should I?

No need for another winterization. It would be a waste of time and energy.

I find that even my best cryo extractions I’ve had always need CRC. The color is always dramatically better afterwards.

1 Like

I guess that all depends on your desired end product, @bg007. For ethanol dabbables, sure, CRC till your heart’s content. For disty or just crude being formulated for tinctures and edibles, absolutley no need for the extra time, money, and effort to remediate for color. I get amazing color from first pass on crude that was extracted at -40c with no magic dirt.

3 Likes

This is how I do it. 200 gallons so far.

1 Like

Hate to disagree with you, my man, but I put the most effort into my crude, not the least. The more I filter out before the less I have to slog through later. I usually run my crude extractions through two different cakes. As far as winterizing, I do that as well. I wonder if that’s the issue that he is having with the red distillate. The distillate I’ve seen from unwinterized crude was red with a nasty smell. I sometimes winterize in between runs if I’m feeling especially anal. The clearest distillate I ever made I winterized and CRC’d my first pass which came from crude that was also winterized and CRC’d. I don’t do that really ever anymore though. In my market color is not the driving factor so it’s not worth the extra effort. Even less than perfect color still looks amazing in a cart.

4 Likes

I welcome the disagreements, as they lead to discussion which hopefully leads to deeper understanding and hopefully some learning. My reasoning behind not wanting to filter my crude as much is to leave more in there on purpose. For medicinal benefit, it has been my experience, that the more stuff present in the crude (chlorophyll, sugars, etc), the more effective the product.

The market in the west is largely dependent on color, especially for dabbables/vapeables. My background is in medical cannabis, and for me, it is all about giving people the best medicine I can give them. If I don’t have to remediate for color, I try not to. Just my personal preference.

My guess with @CarolCBD’s red issue has something to do with the parameters on the machine being used. Most people I see using wipers or rollers are having really red first pass until they get the machines dialed. Sadly, dialing in WFE is not my area of expertise, yet.

3 Likes

I tried to degass the crude longer than I used to and this is how it goes up to now. More honey-like. I havent tried to winterized or color remediation. Thanks to @Akoyeh for advise me.

Greeting from Colombia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

state law in Montana allows you to make your own solvent as long as you’re not selling liquor, if anyone wants to move to MT…

2 Likes

they got geothermal & snow too…

http://deq.mt.gov/Energy/renewableenergy/Geothermal/Sites

1 Like

Your Google-fu must be suffering from the cold… Haha

Edit: You edit faster than I could finish my reply @cyclopath. Haha

1 Like

For everyone who runs this tek - roughly how much dry ice is consumed per kilo of biomass? I’m going to give it a shot later this week.

So many things vary there. How cold are you maintaining the solution, and how fast are you working? I did a 60lb bucket tek extraction a few weeks back and I used around 17 gallons of ethanol and 120-140lbs of ice roughly. That’s with me maintaining at -40 to -60c and working as fast as I can

1 Like