Buchner crc, is pressure required?

I have some cryo ethanol extracted oil that has been filtered though AC and dried in the vac oven, it has shatter consistency but is super dark and dosent taste great. I was planning on dissolving in hexane and doing saline washed filled by my first attempt at crc. Will it work in a buchner funnel without pressure assist?

Yep works just fine, just be careful if you vacuum filter that you don’t pull too deep and boil the solvent. Hexane is very volatile, you may have an easier time with heptane.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input I noticed many people use heptane and pentane I didnt want to buy more solvent if I didnt have to, ut the volatility is a good point.

It will still work fine just takes a little extra caution. Colder solvent will negate the problem in part but will also make the CRC less effective

I hear heptane is better never tried it though.

Sometimes when I filter hexane I don’t even need a vacuum. Its best to not do vacuum filtration of hydrocarbons. I would suggest pulling a vacuum on a vessel or chamber or even your roto vap. Then close off the vacuum pump and make sure it holds vac with no leaks. Use this vacuumed down vessel to connect to your Buchner. Load the filter with your liquid solution and crack open the vac line just barely enough to start pulling liquid through the filter.

2 Likes

i was thinking i could use a double cold trap to protect my diaphragm pump and chill the receiving flask to prevent pumping vapors into the atmosphere.

1 Like

Yea that’s not gonna work as well as it sounds. It’s gonna affect the way the solution flows through the filter. It will create a vapor the second the liquid diffuses through the filter

Buy a vac regulator and set to a very low vac. Or do my method above^. Or filter by using pressure in a closed loop

2 Likes

I’ve got a 5 gal vac chamber that could work. I’ll give it a try thanks! I’ve been eyeing killas crc setup but I wanted to play with media before pulling the trigger.

1 Like