Brix meter problems

We’ve tried a few different brix meters but they all seem to be quirky.

I’ve tried a few of of the cheapy viewer types and they are wonky.

We got a nice digital Hanna one but it’s clunky. You have to cover the sample with your hand so no light shows, which is stupid. It should come with a cover to block the light on the sample. Talked to Hanna, and they were pretty much “sorry, can’t help you”.

Am I missing something? Is there a good brix meter I can buy for less than $300?

1 Like

3d print a cover?

1 Like

Skip the digital. Too much headache ime.

We went with the ~$150 model (can’t locate it atm) which works good, but do yourself a favor and get a bottle of calibration fluid or use a meter with a bottom range of 0, then you can calibrate daily using DI water. Helps a lot with accuracy.

2 Likes

They need to be calibrated everytime you use them. And I do mean everytime. You can use olive oil to callibrate them. Im not sharing olive oils brix reading. Figure it out…

1 Like

FYI, I do calibrate every time I use it. I buy calibrated brix solution to check and use distilled water to calibrate.

1 Like

Have you tried olive oil? Or did I read this hint wrong

1 Like

Virgin olive oil have consistent brix for calibrate. Usually 71-72. Father is beekeeper. Many thanks.

http://volusiabeekeepers.org/calibrating-your-refractometer/

7 Likes

Do you use it multiple times a day?
Are you calibrating it multiple times a day?
This is basic shit skill knowledge man!!

What is it specifically about these refractometers being used in gummies that requires them to be calibrated with each use?

I’ve used refractometers for a long time (outside of gummy context) and calibration that frequently was never an issue.

2 Likes

Temperature changes

2 Likes

Get the atago pal H.

It’s a little more 300 but worth it.

Instant read brix up to 100c

Orrrrr just pick a temp and cook to there

2 Likes

Gummies can be forgiving like that but there are a lot of variables, environmental and otherwise, that can hang you up with just relying on temp reached alone. Other candies / food aren’t as lenient stability-wise without a brix reading.

1 Like