Breeding high CBD/CBG hemp

I’m pretty sure anyone that purchases from them signs a MTA. I would definitely adhere to it too. I’ve heard their busy suing people right now for not following it, but that’s just second hand. It’s not just them tho, some of the originators of the the main hemp strains like, cherry wine, are also coming after people. If you can get open source genetics I’d go that route. Unless you don’t mind buying seed every year.

Would be pretty hard
To prove unless the ppl were selling seeds under there seed names

That’s true, they’d have to prove you violated the agreement. I don’t know what their agreement is all about, but many seed contracts are several years long. Say you bought seed from them one year and not the next. But that next year, your still selling flower that, if tested, shows the same genetic make up as theirs. If they found out or were actively keeping track of people who bought seed, they could have reason for legal action. I’m sure oil wouldn’t be so easy to prove.

Now that hemp is federally legal, it’s all about intellectual property. Part of me understands it, but I don’t really agree. I mean everyone has to start somewhere. OregonCBDs strains were made with someone else’s work, but they made it their own by creating new unique lines. But why not let everyone have access to CBG? They’re already loaded. Put it out in the public and give it legs. Maybe see what others can do with it. If we all worked together, we’d be way farther along than we are now. That’s why I love this forum. People sharing knowledge and helping each other improve. IP is all about money. Just look at Monsanto.

4 Likes

I agree with that. It all came from somewhere. Just ask Ben from centennial seeds in Colorado. I’m sure he’d fill you in ha. Yes this is the ip game 100%. You don’t even have to grow hemp to make cbg. There’s a flower in South Africa that makes it. Ands it’s not Cannabis. So what else is out there?

1 Like

Helichrysum umbraculigerum is the plant in question. I haven’t found much in the way of data on CBG concentration in the biomass except for one source claiming only 0.2%. And SA has heavy biological piracy laws. :man_facepalming:t4:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2016/np/c6np00074f

1 Like

I’ve got seeds and plants of Helichrysum umbraculigerum Growing in the US right now. We will have a harvest by year end that will increase our seed holding by a bunch and give us some material to get extracts and more chemotype data from. I got my seeds from an extant seed population that I bought completely out of stock. I’ll post pictures soon.

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Keep us updated. What is the content of CBG? How easy is the extraction process?

I’ll have seeds in 60 days

1 Like

CBG hemp seeds? I saw in the other thread you have a 20%er. Thats freaking incredible, man!! We did some fem crosses of our cbg strain this summer. Its only at 8% CBG, 2%CBD. Crossed it with Otto, cherry blossom, suzy Q, a couple auto flowers and a few others. We’re gonna test them through the winter and hopefully have some ready by next years planting. i can’t wait to see all the new cbg strains come online in 2020. I think custom ratios like a 1:1:1, cbd:thc:cbg is something to be excited about. even mixed ratios of cbg:cbd for the hemp farmers.

3 Likes

It’s a trimmed top nug don’t want to mislead but yes it did it! I’m working on a all gas 1:1 cbd cbg with our double rank og stain. Should turn out good

6 Likes

Megalabwannabe

3m

I have seeds with a COA of %18.6 CBG. I am looking to venture off with partners with these seeds. I am also looking for CBD as well as other cannabinoids w/o the thc synthase (THC FREE). If you are interested please let me know.

Kevin 971-295-6935

3 Likes

The plant will win by miles imo
CBD can be made as cheaply as sugar with time

What happens if you cross CBG and a THC strain?

From what I understand, CBG is created from impeding the pathway to create CBD/THC.

I don’t know the answer, but I do have a volunteer cbd hemp plant that came up in the spot I was growing fem seed last year, and will be making cbg seed in that plot this year. It is too close to avoid pollination, so I will have a few seeds that are a cbd/cbg cross. They probably won’t be worth anything, but it will be fun to grow the cross out and see how it tests.

2 Likes