Breeding for terpenes

Heres a thread from 10 years ago i just found again and its still getting hits as of this winter.

I posted this in 2012. We’ve come a long way since then…

I havent been on ICmag for years now i figured i would throw it up here and continue the convo

I was trying to figure out if higher terps is linked with lower THC (in a genetic pool) and to what degree do they effect each other.

:popcorn:

3 Likes

I happen to skim through the latest Hash Church on Youtube and happen to catch Dr. Scialdone and Kevin McKernan talking a lot about cannabinoid pathways, etc, and at one point it was posited exactly that, higher terp = lower cannabinoid, which If memory serves they both agreed that it was a reasonable assumption. For further details or confirmation of my memory check that episode out(march 22 hash church)

1 Like

Curious how high of percentage of terpenes/essential oils exist in other flowers. Are there flowers that contain 20% essential oils? What is allowing them to do that? Curious if anyone knows anything about this.

I ask because at some point I can’t help but think that a plant dripping with limonene/myrcene etc would just be toxic to itself.

1 Like

From Google: Rose essential oil comes from the flowers, basil from the leaves, lime from the rind, anise from the seeds, sandalwood from the wood, frankincense from the resin of its tree, and so on.

I think lavendar has trichomes of some sort. The plants which emit “resin” to protect from UV (like cannabis) are probably the highest concentration but i have no data at all on this.

2 Likes

I found a pretty good article. I have to figure out what the concentration is in umols/g. It doesnt sound too high tho

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/lemon-peels

2 Likes

From analytics that we conducted over 300 samples flowers, the average is between 0.9-2.5% a record holder of 2.74% and 17% cbd and 1% minors… Really love grown and grealy cured…

As I know cannabis is the one of the more abundandt secondary metabolite producing plants, as opoosed to melissa oficinalis wich yields anythere from 0.2-0.8% terp content… .

So were lucky our favourite plant is a hyper producer and have to thank of course thousands of years of landrace selection that gave us the basis for the crosses we know today.

Breeding for terpenes opens gateways for insect and disease resistance that is actually even more important from the industrial point of view.

But not to derail great topic!

2 Likes