Bout to try w-1 to replace t-5, silica

, ,

I dont think the adsorbents work that way. They will only bleach so much. Adding more will not increase the bleach capacity. It will bleach till it reaches its max and that’s where it starts taking yield after since theres no impurities to grab, just good oil. B80 is not activated therefore it’s not as strong at removing color like the other Clays. For the best results using b80, you gotta dewax or else it wont work too well. The other clays being acid activated can pull color better and help break down soaps and phospholipids with it’s high acidity. That’s what makes them better than b80 at removing color. Also not every clay will work the same for every type of oil. Just like every type of trim. Some have more fats and soaps than others. For example check this chart from oil dri. Some Clays work best with certain types of oil. For cannabis from my experience playing with adsorbents W1 is best.

8 Likes

W1 works much better than b80 without a doubt

4 Likes
5 Likes

How about the same comparison with the Taft RVM or GA LVM (Ultra-Clear) ?

1 Like

i can vouch for the W-1, flow increased as well as bleaching power. it’s good :poop:. from a more rational approach as stated by Wax, reducing the amount of B80 in the mixture will also reduce the bleaching power of said mixture of powders as the celite has no bleaching properties. its literally just the skeletons of diatoms. the clay does all the heavy lifting, celite just holds it back.

3 Likes

@waxplug in what way is W1 different than Select FF ?

http://selectadsorbents.com/downloads/select_ff.pdf

1 Like

Its actually very similar ph but it leaves a strong barn animal smell. Ive tried back in the bho scam thread and ive tried it in place of my celite as well. It worked good as a celite by not blinding like most clays do but color removal strenght was not as strong as w1. W1 is not meant for enzymatic degumming either. I believe select ff has sulphuric acid in it which makes it good for degumming.

Edit:im reading its good for wet bleaching. Ethanol struggles with bleaching beacuse of its moisture content. Thats why baking the clays work better. Water causes desorbtion. Might work magic on etoh extracts

I have some on its way

8 Likes

Barn animals eh…

:joy: idk how else to describe it. Reminds me of the petting zoo

3 Likes

So basically goat shit.

I gotta say at this point its W1 or bust

2 Likes

Have you ever tried ac + sil60. It’s fucking bad ass.

1 Like

I haven’t, are you suggesting a mix? Ill try it out and give an honest review. I like the w1 for a few reasons.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the recipe for a shitload of yield loss? I don’t doubt it’ll make very pretty oil but those are the two media I try to avoid like the plague because, well, I kinda like money.

Not being a dick (maybe a little) but change my mind

11 Likes

Media Bros CRX was giving away samples. Being bentonite clay based, it’s pretty FIRE for hydrocarbon filtering.

1 Like

Both of those types of media aren’t expensive. But they have higher effectivity. With these cheap components on market often when you spend a dollar on material you get 20% of less effectivity. Where as better media gives you 80-90% effectivity per dollar spent. Results speak for themselves. Remember mixing ac clay and sil60 for a example is cheaper than buying blended stuff that is just trying to be the same. That two part blend is responsible for almost every winners product in the cannabis industry last couple years. In relation to crc runs. Literally most of the winners are our customers and purchase it on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Not one out of the 7 people I’ve talked to about hydrocarbon inline CRC are using AC or silica 60 currently. A few of them have (near) complete control over their color, and have tested their media to show little to no lost terpene content.

Have you actually run extractions with these medias, or do you just take people’s word for it? Genuinely curious, not trying to be condescending.

10 Likes

checking your media for terps sounds like the best idea, but are you sure youre liberating the terpenes off of the media it (might have) bound to?

a while ago i was testing various media inline co2 for color remediation. my initial method was to HPLC my media for cannabinoids. they were practically clean! but then i ran a mass balance and saw that I had major unaccounted for loss. turns out that my HPLC sample prep method (specifically the extraction portion) was not effective at liberating the target molecule from the matrix.

i dont mean to say that you cant do it this way - just that a clean HPLC of your media might be a false flag. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

In the very least, running the same material with and without CRC, and using the good old fashioned olfactory sense, there were no notable differences. Supposedly no difference in effects either, but, who knows how astute the person testing it is in regards to personal bio-assay?

5 Likes

I’m not saying they aren’t effective media, I was simply talking about the amount of cannabinoids that don’t elute from them. The cost of the magic dirt isn’t a major factor in my mind (although I use B80 primarily which is about as cheap as it gets). Even the more expensive stuff like silica 60 and W1 are a drop in the bucket compared to a 5% loss in yield because the solvent isn’t polar enough to elute all the goodies from your silica

8 Likes

Because cannabis already has enough meaningless jargon

10 Likes