Bolt your membranes to your centrifuge and spin them in a circle?

Is this a bad idea? Almost certainly. But if it’s good enough for the Canadian military it might be worth a roll of duct tape or two.

13 Likes

Dude!! Please keep making new threads!!! You are on fire!!

6 Likes

I was pretty inactive for quite a while, I’ve got a fair backlog of crazy/interesting/maybe good/probably dangerous ideas.

I’m working on a number of things to make people’s lives easier, I just need to find the time to set them down.

7 Likes

@cyclopath always talked about wanting to do this. The surface area is not exactly high though… I don’t think it can be a competitive solution.

2 Likes

That just means we need a bigger centrifuge and bigger membranes.

The paper I found on it suggested it didn’t become economical until ~600 GPH of RO water production - this would only be useful on a much bigger than existing cannabis operations scale.

2 Likes

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C48&q=Passive+membrane+desalination&oq=Passive+membrane+desal#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DHLSksTVXA4EJ

Did future send anyone else this one on passive membranes?

3 Likes

Nah I just sent it to you cause I know how much Google scholar research you do.

Would be dope if all this cannabis based membrane business some how propelled membrane desalination forward

14 Likes

Right now it’s the opposite… With existing membranes permeation rates in ethanol are a joke compared to what they permeate in salt water…

3 Likes

I’ve found that cannabis entrepreneurs often lack formal education or many of the preconceived notions people with lots of experience have in specific fields. Most of the time this leads to failure, but often it brings fresh new ideas into various fields. A good example of this is mantle based SPD. It took a couple years to get moving, but now cannabis drives basically all the innovation in that specific field.

15 Likes

@Future

How about membranes that proof up alcohol to 99% using solar energy…

This is actually something I could 100% do as I should have a membrane in 2 weeks that can proof up ethanol or methanol to 99% purity without evaporating it

You could set it up in a similar setup to run off solar

2 Likes

used this guy at my university for protein purification.

4 Likes