Blinger Disty

190 proof is the ideal winterization solvent, and its not neurotoxic.

2 Likes

Dont buy any 2 dimensional filters for bulk, buy bag and cartridge, or lenticulars for filtration. I can make you a custom multi stage bag skid that will scale to hundreds of gallons an hour easy if youre interested, but i think xtractor depot just came out with a simple-stupid model. Beaker and wrench and n.b.oler both have pressure filters thatll runcircles around buchners. those 36 inch belarts are a joke. Sambo Creek sells some cool filters but any 2 dimensional filtration surface should be a thing of the past.

As for your distillation theres the possibility of several things wrong, sounds like a leak, but a max head temp of 195 and bf temo of 205 tells me thats not the case. so the most likely issue is that youre sticking too dirty of an oil into the system. winterizations can be done easily on distillate, a second pass is not suitable for true lipid removal, but the hot condenser tech (150+) gets dammmmmmmn close. but you need the secondary condenser from lab society, and a real heater, not the sous vide setup.

Winterize again, a little carbon or bleaching clay will help the fats fall out faster. Past that you may need to ramp your distillation temps slower, and cut fractions later. also try decarbing outside of the flask, and strain the hot oil as it goes into the flask.

Sounds like you could really benefit from a day or two of hands on assistance

i would definitely upgrade your pump to at least a crv 16 nonetheless

1 Like

Ive noticed that when using methanol to winterize, the waxes preciptate much faster than when I uses ethanol or isopropanol. This and the lower boiling point led me to believe methanol was superior for winterizing.

Aside from concerns of toxicity, what makes 190 proof ethanol better than the rest?

2 Likes

I mean it all depends on your method, if you use just enough hot ethanol to dissolve your extract, then pour it into a large amount of room temp/slightly chilled ethanol, you can watch a large amount of the fats flocculate immediately.

But the 190 proof azeotrope is the ideal ratio for pushing out lipids, although this chart doesnt cover methanol. the significantly neurotoxic part is enough to dissuade me
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhC-47llNkG/

2 Likes

That’s very interesting and now that you mentioned it, I have witnessed this phenomenon on a very small scale before but I never thought anything of it.

When I wash my crashing jars with warm alcohol I deposit the solution in a big jar in my freezer it makes the solution cloudy like the fats are dropping out of solution but in my case the cloudiness dissipated quickly.

I hear you about the toxicity and I try my best to mitigate any exposure to myself. I only apply heat when I’m trying to dissolve my extract and I do that in a triclamp rig and I freeze it before I ever open it up, I also wear some thick gloves.

Panda spinner lined with specific micron bags, turn on and pour . Would that suffice ? Clearly not the most legit way but.

1 Like

You’re making distillate. Trace methanol won’t exist after distilling.

Methanol is toxic when drank. Trace amounts in vapor or even on your skin is pretty benign. Just pop on some gloves and a respirator and you’ll be fine.

One of us really needs to do a legit experiment lol. I’m gonna do a test on removals when I get some in house analytics soon.

2 Likes

I love how little love this forum has for summit.

8 Likes

When you find a local glassblower that makes things at 1/2 the price for the same quality, you tend to feel like they’ve been ripping you off for a while lol.

2 Likes

yeah Thats a great way to get it done, id get it spinning dry then slowly pour in your solution unless you can fill and seal a filter bag

I’ve noticed how drastic the temp difference at the top of the column in relation to the bf with the stir bar going nice, can you stir too fast and cause problems with flow?

Yea I agree. Would bubble bags work ? do you lose % while filtering depending on how low in micron you go or are cannabinoids able to pass through less than 1 micron ? I’ve always wonder this.

Cannabinoids Will pass a 0.2 micron filter with ease

3 Likes

What’s everyone’s feeling on t5 vs t41 clay thrown in the bf for 2nd passing? Or what other options are there for lightening up 2nd pass?

natural bentonite @ 2% activated carbon at @ 2 - 5 _% florasil mesh 60 at @ 2%
all give some form of isomerization

1 Like

Bentonite t5? And what type of activated charcoal exactly?

1 Like

Charcoal produced from hardwood, carbon chemistry sells ph neutral powdered hardwood activated carbon which is ideal for this application.

3 Likes

yust plain natural bentonite
each brand of bentonite has a different outcome so you will have to play and fiddle
and not every time you buy the same brand you get the same bentonite for batches change

1 Like

On second pass I hit a really nice fraction at around 155c in the head. My mantle is at 180-185c when this fraction is pulling. It’s about 10% of the entire volume in the bf, and I’m wondering how much of it is really heads. On first pass I dont hit main body til about 170c. My question is how much lower can you hit main body on second pass vs first pass?

I’ve got t5 bentonite from charb chem, I use it for filtering aide during buchner funneling. I’ll give that stuff a try next time I run