Blending CBD/THC Crude with MCT for tincture

Happy friday to all. Looking to make THC tinctures, specifically 25mg/ml in 10mL bottles. I have THC Crude on hand (80%) as well as MCT. Only looking to blend 500ml at a time. I have an across intl oven and hot plate stirrer. Thinking of using oven to preheat THC oil and MCT then mixing both in hot plate stirrer. I am thinking of starting heat at 40C and simply blend in a big beaker. Not sure as to how long I need to blend to reach optimal homogenization. Any recommendations or comments about this before I start? Thanks alot for any help.

that will work. probably don’t need the oven. short bursts in the microwave will also get you warm enough to dissolve.

homogenization is a much bigger issue when you’re dispersing or emulsifying rather than dissolving. cannabinoids into MCT below 300mg/ml is easy. above that they may or may not drop back out.

The microwave is one of my favorite lab tools.

1 Like

I am using a hot plate stirrer to blend mct and cbd, what temp speed should I set stir?

You are overthinking this. Warm it up and spin

3 Likes

40C is plenty. Med. you don’t need to be aerating it (oxidation)

When heating up THC crude oil are there dangerous gases being emitted? Should I consider using a fume hood? Any considerations I should be taking other than using gloves and a mask? Had an unsual headache after blending a batch yesterday. I am only heating the oil to 40-50 C. Thanks!

Depends. Most folks are pretty lazy about solvent removal from “crude”…the assumption is that there are additional steps, often involving adding BACK solvent, before final product.

I’ve even added the MCT well before the ethanol was gone, to make removing the ethanol easier and make getting the FULLY purged extract out of the Rotovap trivial.

So yeah, if you’ve got crude made with naphtha, you’re huffing naphtha…

1 Like