Blast room fume hood?

Apparently our inspector wants us to have a blast room a with chemical fume hood any one ran into this issue so trying to source either a fume hood to put in the roof of our room or a pre built room with considered a chemical fume hood any recommendations?

Couldn’t you seal the room and use a standard explosion proof evacuation fan to run the room at a slightly negative pressure?

I don’t particularly like this company, or their pricing, but:

They sell explosion proof labs with appropriate fume control.

1 Like

These guys were @ bizcon this year:



What equipment would be in said room? Did they just say a chemical hood or was it a C1D1/C1D2?

1 Like

In addition to the questions above, what solvent are you running, how many gallons in total does your system run, how many gallons in total do you store and do you have a sprinkler system in the building the equipment resides in? You can also ask your fire marshall or fire inspector what regulations you have to conform to so you can see for yourself


It sounds like you need a C1D1 room… Are you running hydrocarbon or ethanol?

I’ve never had a inspector be such a prick before I’ve built out 2 different labs with blast rooms back in seattle and and just built it to c1d1 specs and they were satisfied, but for some reason the inspector out in Montana is giving me hell saying I need a prefabed c1d1 room and build my lab around that room in my new facility or get a big enough fume hood to cover the entirety of the blast room and go that route

Hydrocarbon and I’ll be running a 25 lbs system with a 200lb solvent tank , it’s a custom built machine already got a engineer to sign off on it for me and get it certified
20 liter shortpath
10 liter roto
4 3.2 ovens and 2 7.4 ovens

Just trying to see if any body is out here in Montana having or had this issue

the neat thing about firemarshalls is they are all different…and have the right to interpret those rules however they see fit. Piss them off early and you’re in for an expensive ride.


Sorry man. You should be able to ask what codes he is inspecting to. I would ask him in such a way as you come across as someone just trying to get it right. I don’t like it, but it’s important to stay on their good side. A lot of times I find they like to be helpful if respected. I try to keep in mind they are career bureaucrats who don’t make a lot, are not liked and have the ability to make your life miserable. Their only profesional joy may be making you upset and getting a pound of flesh. Basically, it’s kissing ass, speaking your mind gently, and biting your tongue, because they can make or break you.

1 Like

Get a spray booth with enough calculated CFM of exhaust using Class I Div I Fans (Such as dayton, they are pretty affordable) to guarantee a minimum of 150 linear ft/min airflow throughout the room.
Get some Class I Div I lighting such as Larson and keep your electrical at minimum inside the room (light switches and stuff can be outside). Keep all electrical inside classified C1D1.
Get a classified LEL sensor from Honeywell calibrated to your hydrocarbon of choice and install it 0-4" from the ground.

Stick your hydrocarbon system inside and be done with it.

Not sure why you mention shortpath, rotary evaporators and ovens. Those do not require Div I electrical classification.
If you use large amounts of organic solvents/hydrocarbons with it (which i doubt), you are required to have your electrical classified Div II, unless THAT room (which i hope is separated from your hydrocarbon extraction room) can guarantee a constant minimum of 150 linear ft/min flow of air.

All this stuff will cost you a small fraction compared to “prefab CANNABIS TAXED rooms”.


got it figured out bought a huge walk in labconoco chemical fume to have my system inside of , and im getting a stainless steel cart to put my shortpath under when im using it same with the roto , im just trying to do what ever this dude is asking to get this shit going lol but yea thx for the info gentleman