BioPulping

I have access to several 100k lbs of spent hexane biomass, per day, as well as basically unlimited space, including industrial scale storage tanks.

My goal is to develop a RnD proposal to determine the feasibility of biopulping the mass into a clean, lignin free pulp.

Here is my BioPulping Data Dump folder
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12yY39pLU8mOtUbwFOgp8mfIBmMeauh0K

Here’s the Hemp BioPulping paper
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/12yY39pLU8mOtUbwFOgp8mfIBmMeauh0K

Tools Needed:

Batch Trial Scale

Disc Refiner - 12" Sprout Waldron single?
Steam Digester
Incubator

Continuous Process Scale:

Screw conveyor with steam
Screw Conveyor with cold air + inoculation
Ventilated Pile Temp / Humidity Controlled Pile

Fungi:

Bjerkandera sp. strain BOS55 (ATCC 90940)
Ceriporiopsis subvermisprora
Phlebia subserialis
Trametes versicolor
Pleurotus eous
Cryptococcus albidus

Unsterilized corn steep liquor to multiply the inoculum

Methods
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1a0OatoSBb168OiHW_a8ThJnzJzaVMM9t

Testing for lignin removal
Testing for cellulose strength

12 Likes

@rowan @Ruwan

4 Likes

If I print my bizcon ticket on hemp pulp does it still cost money?

5 Likes

Is figure 8 the top diagram? I haven’t read to much into the biopulping but here is something’s from a processing perspective.

Need a screw extruders possibly two. First feeding the chips into the Asepsis unit. They will need a automated control loop that is based on nutrient input to density of chips.

Second install on feeding the biopulping reactor from the Asepsis.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/screw-extruders

The Asepsis should be some sort of paddle wheel mixing reactor.

What is the temperature of humidity that is needed? Possibly a Low pressure steam kettle reboiler? This will help out with the bottom aeration. vapor path being hot air rising.

If figure 8 is a packed column than a can see the conveyer belt on top spiraling. packaging on the mid section of the column with bubble caps and other types of plated beds. The bottom is forced aeration? Hmm i never read the whole biopulping docs is there liquid at the bottom or open cavity that is just pushing air to the top of the the reactor? If it’s liquid i may have a solution.

3 Likes

That’s lab scale vs industrial scale. The top would be using bio reactors, the bottom a giant aerated pile

1 Like

It would be interesting to see this in action. The pleurotus genus comprises most oyster mushrooms, which are tasty food. Trametes Versicolor isn’t an edible, but contains some great compounds of interest for their anti cancer and immune boosting properties. I have made a really earthy and tasty decoction of these and reshi that I wild harvested, good for the health and adding flavor to food. Mushrooms that digest woody material come in two types, ones that feed on cellulose, and ones that feed on lignin. There could be many more options of different species to digest the lignin that could also give the benefit of gourmet or medicinal mushrooms as a byproduct.

6 Likes

@Future For your “Biopulping Draft Proposal” - who is the intended audience? Are you planning to privately pitch/get investment for the RnD facility, or rather a university, etc?

1 Like

The facility, the money, and the biomass already exist. I just need to organized a plan of attack and present it to them

3 Likes

@Future I read the two whitepapers you posted. What are the uses of the lingin free product you would be making?

1 Like

Clean cellulose is ideal for paper pulp

4 Likes

@Future do you envision in the future mega processing facilities using every aspect of the plant? IE, usable spent biomass like you show above, lipids/chlorophyll/sugars as their own product and stalks for rope/feed, etc.? Feels inevitable at scale and may be the key to profitability at some point.

2 Likes

Are you attached to bio versus chem?

Ya I’m not interested in using the Kraft process.

There’s a company out of canada with a machine that runs a few million dollars, but it harvests hemp and separate stalk, seed, and flower, into separate bins, all while driving through a field like a standard combine. One was purchased in PA I believe. I’m leaning towards that as the future of the hemp industry, with appropriate processing to follow.

Edit: this machine does not operate like a combine as pointed out below.

1 Like

That would be canadian greenfield technologies, purchased by groff north america in lancaster.

Definitely not biopulping though.

2 Likes

True, but I think it’s the harvest tech that will allow for a split industry on one farm. Thanks for the name, it was driving me nuts hah.

*this isn’t a combine, rather a stationary processor with multiple product outputs.

There are a few combines out there though…

My mistake on the mobility, i blended two products. Thanks for the correction.

Do you think the quality of the pulp used to make the paper would vary if you used differing ratios of fan leaves, spent flower, stems, and stalks? Should you avoid using one or the other? I was thinking stems and stalks would be the best choice. We extract our flower with ethanol so I was also curious if the degradation of the plant cells would be good and help for more clean cellulose recovery or if it would degrade the cellulose. I know you can produce ethanol from cellulose so if thats possible under the presence of ethanol I feel like that wouldn’t be a good thing for your pulp purity.

cellulose is not affected by ethanol.
in order to make ethanol from cellulose, it needs to be converted to fermentable sugars. using cellulase(s).

more light reading

3801-16686-1-PB.pdf (736.7 KB) IND43726843.pdf (674.8 KB)

1 Like