Biomass to Winterized Crude Yield

Hey guys! How much winterized crude can you get with CO2 equipment from 7.5% biomass? Have 5000kgs. Do you think about 250 kgs is a real number or should we get more?
Let’s pretend you would give 5000 kg to a processor . How much winterized crude do you expect to get back?

Depends on how hard you try. You can for sure get a 67% yield but you might be looking at longish run times with that kind of potency.

1 Like

last time (today) someone asked this sort of “hypothetical”, it was not in fact a hypothetical.

did you give 5000lb of your 7.5% biomass to an extractor and get 250lb back?

or are you looking to count chickens?

the math is simple, and the question as been addressed repeatedly.

see: Search results for 'crude yield' - Future4200

CO2 and 7.5% cannabinoids does make it a more specific question, because CO2 doesn’t have the cannabinoid carrying capacity that the other solvents frequently applied to this task do (so efficiency might be low, unless you try harder…).

with Ethanol, at -40C I see 85% efficiency on 12-14% biomass. 90% is achievable.

I’d put 90% recovery at about 508lb of 70% crude, so I believe @SidViscous’s

would actually give 407lb of 70% crude.

250lb of 70% crude is only 175lb of CBD out of the 375lb you started with, which is 46% extraction efficiency…

if you’re counting chickens, that should be plenty. if you think somebody took your cannabinoids, you need a COA or three.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I’m a new user and unable to post a new thread, so my apologies for hijacking this one. I have related a question:

Assuming cryoethanol extraction, can you please explain why yield to winterized crude from biomass is GREATER than the potency of the biomass?

Assume 1000kg of 10% potency material
Assume 90% extraction efficiency
Assume 70% potency in winterized crude
Assume 1L of crude equals 1kg in weight

Why is it that one would receive greater than 10% yield to winterized crude if the potency is only 10%? Not counting numbers, but seeking to understand the rationale/science behind it.

Thank you!

You don’t just extract the CBD, its in there with the winterized crude being only 70% potency. Whatever method you use to extract, you will got other stuff… terps, fats, plant stuff.

1 Like

Did you read the thread before hijacking?!?
Pretty sure the math is up there…

Imagine 10kg of 10% CBD
yields 1.2kg of 70% CBD crude.

How much CBD was in the biomass?
(Hint: less than 1.2kg)
10kg x 0.1 == ?kg CBD

How much CBD did you get?
(Hint: less than 1kg!)
1.2kg x 0.7 ==?

Got it?!?

Prove it: What was the extraction efficiency?
(Hint: in the 85% range)

1 Like

You want to explain why that last assumption is necessary? Or look at the Density of crude? and explain how it might be contributing to your current conceptual quandary?

Are you measuring your output in liters of crude? Or are you asking why your contracted processor returned X liters from Y kg of biomass?