Biomass Storage

Looking for any advice for storing hemp flower and dry biomass. Have about 500,000 lbs of dry biomass milled and unmilled in AgBags ranging from 250 to 550lbs per bag and approximately 20,000 lbs of untrimmed flower in plastic storage bags. All is stored in a refrigerated warehouse. Looking at sitting on it for a bit, maybe a few months. Wondering what steps I can take to stop degradation and help keep quality up.

Refrigerated at what temperature? Dry? Do you have an approximate moisture content?

Haven’t started any refrigeration yet, wanted to get advice before I did anything. It’s sitting around 50 degrees now. Moisture content varies from 5 percent to 12 percent.

You are in the zone for moisture. Looking at months freezing is a better option, but temp of the refrigerator would be my deciding factor 50 is just not that low. I’d worry about the stuff closer to 12%.

i would be concerned about the biomass in the plastic bags. That stuff will mold quicker than the stuff in superbags, as the plastic doesnt “breathe”

1 Like

Yes, condensation of any type spells big trouble. Why I worry about temp and the higher range moisture content.

1 Like

Yeah the flower is a bit over dried but we were “burping” the bags sense dried. There is 90 lbs per bag of flower. Never cured or dried at his quantity before so it has been a learning experience.

You would realistically have to breath those bags pretty regularly

Yeah the labor cost for it is ridiculous. Was thinking about leaving the flower open.

1 Like

Better over dry than moldy

2 Likes

What is suggested for temperature? Also about air circulation for the over all storage.

Colder the better. Freezing is best for months like you mentioned. With that quantity it’s hard to do any of the 100% safe methods. Most likely freezing will rupture a good number of cells, unless you flash freeze. Which with your quantity would be crazy impressive, lol. If it were mine I would go 35-40 and leave the plastic slightly open an check it every two weeks just in case disaster strikes.

Okay, that is about the same I was thinking I appreciate the feed back.

1 Like

No problem, hope it helps! That what this site is all about!