Biomass Pricing for Fresh Frozen

Hey All,

Happy weekend to ya!

I’m working on a deal where we plan to pay rent with THC biomass (bucked, untrimmed flower) that is destined for fresh frozen products. I’m wondering:

1 - How would you charge for this wet/frozen biomass? We are planning on testing the day of harvest then waiting for the lab to kick back results, which are reported on a dry weight basis, then assessing the final costs. Hoping for a better/quicker route than this. I don’t want him to feel ripped of and we obviously don’t want to get ripped off either.

2 - Our customer wants a 50 pound dry equivalent, so assuming ~75% moisture loss in a normal drying situation, could we estimate giving him 200 pounds wet on the day of harvest? (50/0.25=200)

3 - Say our greenhouse flower comes out at ~15%. 50 pounds x 15% = 7.5 pounds theoretical yield (3,400 grams). Does that sounds right to all y’all?

If you can think of major pitfalls I need to avoid that would be great. I’m a grower, not a processor so this isn’t 100% my area of expertise and would appreciate all help!

5 Likes

which state are you in?

1 Like

His profile says utah

1 Like
  1. Get a freeze dryer and pull a sample early enough that you have results by chop day. They are a valuable tool to quickly and consistently prep samples to be tested. After a bad experience where we sent out clean product that became contaminated due to an idiot trying to kill ants at an extraction facility, we do not let any product leave without a coa.

2. Here in CA I typically get about 1/5 of dry pound prices for bucked, deleafed material. Dry down can be somewhat strain dependent.

3. Theoretical yield is highly dependent on extraction methods.

If you are set up for a dry buck and trim, make sure to consider that you are going to need a much larger harvest day staff to buck and deleaf vs just hanging. Make sure you and the processor agree on freezing method. In my experience the solventless guys are the most difficult to work with.

3 Likes

Correctamundo

Awesome, thanks for the info. I guess I meant more of a “potential” theoretical based on their extraction ability and methods.

1 Like

You didn’t mention the extraction method.

1 Like

I believe CO2 shatter is their goal.

1 Like

Not saying it can’t be done, I’ve never played around with co2 extraction. However, shatter might not be the best end product for fresh frozen. The product will be very runny which is the value in live resin. The value in shatter is usually that it is not runny and that shatter is rather dry. I’m sure there are ways to do it though! Sounds like they might be doing terpene extraction primarily.