Biomass Grinding at various scales?

Who be “they”? Any chance of a link?!?

I would expect optimal particle size to vary by solvent system.

I would also expect it to vary based on how optimal is defined.

Are we optimizing for $/mg cannabinoid? For extraction efficiency (mg yield/mg available)? Time to process 100kg? Raw extract mass?

1 Like

When they Had the mm mil size i think is 2. It showed different size and how much was extracted by each size.

I don’t think it research gate but the analysis data report sheets made it seem valid.

How many bushel per hour does it mill? Does it have different size screens?

Has a 3/8" screen currently but if you require other sizes you can buy them from the Hosokawa dealer in NJ
I don’t know how many pounds a bushel is but this unit can do 2-3 lbs/minute

I apologize for the wait. Here is the information I found. Go through the slideshow.
Mill & Grinding particle efficiency

1 Like

thank you!

this slide seems like it’s worth sharing.
just to get the attention of folks who don’t follow that link you provided.

if nothing else, it reminds me that I might run into trouble if I just hook this thing up to the input of my centrifuge… :wink:

maybe run it through something like the (vacuum based) seed sorter mentioned here Looking for seed sorter options - #2 by cyclopath

2 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I feel like I am speaking spanish to some people when I tell them having consistent particle sizes can give you better and more consistent results. This is one of the hardest things to convince people to try it’s like running a little more weight and having consistent runs is heresy.

3 Likes

and in the spirit of “don’t take my word for it…”

So what you’re saying… Is that we need a bunch of guys, with a bunch of scissors…

3 Likes

you haven’t checked out the slide show @Juice311 posted have you?

knew that slide would catch more attention :wink:

good information but whoever decided that slideshows are a good way to present the info should be shot

huh?

slide shows are a pretty standard way for sharing information at scientific conferences. without the speaker, there is certainly less information transfer…it’s not like the slide show was ever meant to be a stand alone work.

it just happens to be the permanent result of sharing that information with the folks at the ACS conference in New Orleans in 2018. way more useful than a blank screen.

5 Likes

I abhor short form, high effort forms of information transfer. This would include a conference. It’s a waste of time compared to a good solid paper. I can learn a lot more from reading a 10 minute paper than clicking through a slideshow or listening to someone lecture

I’m glad you all came to this conference today to see my presentation.

Now every be quiet and put your heads down as we all sit and read this paper together but separate.

2 Likes

I find poster sessions very productive.

2 Likes

The inside of our mills have a proprietary “knife” blade to cut through the fibrous Hemp/Cannabis plants.

2 Likes

I use my John Deere 4440 Combine for shucking and grinding whole plants or I have a Chaff cutter/hammer mill for stuff that comes to me shucked. I see on average a 2% loss in potency going through the combine and no real potency losses going through the chaff cutter but I capture all the fine dust. 5 micron bag filter inline after the centrifuge seems to capture everything you dont want. Axeial flow combines do a better job of separation but are pretty expensive even used.
If you have the space, old combines are cheap and with a few modifications work really well. I’ll also use it to grind and deseed heavily seeded biomass. For example a customer abandoned 2300 pounds of some of the most heavily seeded crap ive seen COA said 2% Pulled 650 pounds of seed out of it and the biomass went up to 6%.

3 Likes

@JedClampet I believe it, seeds can really kill potency, we’ve seen 40% seeds by weight on some material that’s come through our shop

De-seed that stuff! sell the seeds for hemp harts then extract the biomass. I put the 650 pounds of seed in my field to test dry land farming for grain and fiber before I bought the proper genetics. spoiler alert! they all died… gotta love this drought year in Colorado.

Would love to do something for deseeding inline as part of my size reduction & prep process, just haven’t gotten there yet, my experience with seed sorters is the small shop vac powered style and that’s nowhere near the scale I need to be at running 1200-1300 lbs/day as I currently am.

Whereabouts in Colorado are you? I live in Firestone my shop is up in Kersey