Big ugly cleanup/Filthiest Oil Ever/Retirement Grease

Hey Everyone,

The time has finally come for me to clean up my cleaning solvent/oil buckets saved over a couple years. aka. my retirement grease!

I’ve got about 3-4kg of the greasiest grimiest blackest oil. I’m guessing its no more than 30-40% cannabanoids. So tons of fats, waxes etc. Also a combo of thc, cbd hemp, etc.

I was thinking of a couple of @Beaker techniques. Specifically deciding between the 70% ispropyl wash, or the dissolve in methanol and let waxes precipitate.

After that I was thinking winterization, then distillation.

Anyone else ever deal with some real grimy grimy? Any tips?

2 Likes

Well since @Beaker is named i would do all of his tecks and de gumming after winterizing [quote=“tweedledew, post:1, topic:10847”]
tips?
[/quote]

3 Likes

can you post before/during/after pics? interested to see this one.

3 Likes

Haha yah for sure!

I know I’ve tried taking the iso bath crap and cleaning it up. In the end it looks good, but, smells like something you kill insects with.

I never tried brine washing/pH degumming, that might’ve helped, didn’t seem worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Did u manage to clean up that greese

1 Like

Not yet, just waiting for a few boring days in a row.
It’s a big ugly mess. There’s probably 5kg of crude.

I think I’m gonna evap, then let sit in methanol then filter. Then decide whether or not to dcvc or charcoal or something

Best job for this is
Disolve in pentane 1: 4
Ad 2x volume pentane crude of pure Molecular sieve dried methanol
Stir for 5 min
Ad about 3-5 % methanol volume of water
Let seperate and put in sep funnel the cannabinoids are in the methanol layer
You can do a second wash on the Same pentane oil layer with clean methanol
Good luck

3 Likes

Slick! Thx. Will the pentane/methanol wash remove waxes and the like? Or crash out significant undesireables?

From black asphalt tar to red amber
Still have to winterize etc etc but Some Where in the line this sop does miracles
At Restek.com
You can read the why of solvents cannabis like most
I never discarted My hexane layer yust save them all for testing etc You loose about 2 % cannabinoids to the hexane layer

2 Likes

Hmm, I was thinking of dissolving in methanol first to winterize. Pentane is a bit more expensive for me, would be good to reduce volume significantly first.

Yes winterizing in methanol i can recomend but work with gloves iT aint mothers milk :grinning:

3 Likes