Bi-Directional: Pros and Cons

I’m thinking of going Bi-Directional and I want to know if it’s worth it but at the same time want to create an open input for other users and spark a creative discussion

I want to know from the people that like it and have experience running it:

Do you enjoy Bi-Directional and in your experience and honest opinion is it worth it?

I also want to know from the people that don’t run it because they tried it and don’t like it:

What don’t you like about running Bi-Directional and why wouldn’t you do it again?

@EloquentSolution

1 Like

I have only found it beneficial so far. It reduces chanelling and forces even saturation of the hydrocarbens throughout the biomass. The bi-directional I currently have is compleatly upgraded with additional parts, hoses, valves all which increase the solvents path options to travel through the system of order to achieve the visual appeal and an overall desirable product all while maintainiing terpens. I also have both a heater and a chiller valved and plumbed into each other and to all jacketed parts on system. Assisting with passively moving hydrodrbons through or too anywhere in the system at anytime need. Also adeded an additional negative pressure chamber to help maintain a steady pull on bigger runs and additional pull on demand. But even with the extra negative press I still added nitro push ports to almost every part of the system just in case I ever suddenly needed a push somewhere. The bi-directional feature aren’t always needed as are some of the other features on this cls are always needed or used during extractions.

Downside, I can really come up with one but maybr the cost of additional hoses, valves and ports required for optional directions of solvent flow. But that’s not much of a downside, considering I have found more benifits. it evenly bottom feed cold solvent into the material chamber preventing chanelling and as I’ve already said evenly saturating bio-mass with hydrocarbons. Over the year’s I have run into so many unexpected problems and situations usully mid-run, that could have easily been solved almost immediately; or even avoided entirely with the right options and or parts in places before beginning the run. So for this I like to have versatility with options an built into the system and somewhat prepared for my prepaid problems and suddenly still required unanticipated tighting of everything and changes on the equipment or in the SOP.

2 Likes

Easy way to put this, bi directional flow isn’t needed, at all. Save the money and get an extra coil and line for recovery.

1 Like

I ran bi-directional back in the good old days of the MKIV Terpinator (god does that make me old?) and since then I’ve run many CLS system that are not bi-directional. On a whim I converted my MEP30 to feed from the bottom on one of my columns and tested yields comparing that column vs a standard top/fill bottom drain column. Negligible Difference. Then again I’m running a jacketed system to where I can soak without pulling undesirable compounds and channeling isn’t really an issue for me.

2 Likes

does she go both ways?

can you make her squirt?

1 Like