Bhogarts ice tech. Who makes something better for less?

Solid information :ok_hand: thanks for sharing @SidViscous

1 Like

Amazon has some of the duda diesel plate exchangers for about half the cost

I just bought 4 of these for my FFE

I believe this one has 4 m2 surface area

4 Likes

There’s more to it than that. Which is exactly why Iced Tech is shit. (Just saw your next , more detailed post - will read and update this text when not driving). Long story short - it needs more controls or continuous load so you don’t kill your compressors.

1 Like

Correct, there is absolutely more to a commercial chiller than that condenser skid and a heat exchanger. For starters, this is just a single stage system. That being said, it will run with pretty much just what was mentioned. It’s not often anyone trying to hit -40C has a problem with loading enough to get oil flow. If anyone wants the how-to on how to build a brick shithouse of a cascade chiller for a lot less than $25k, I think I left it lying around somewhere here…

14 Likes

Im a little curious what you mean here… at 15k and it works well but is a rip off, then what else can you get for 15k that works better and isnt a rip off?

I was able to hit 2-2.5 steady with mine with a single 150

2 Likes

Edit: This post I believe?

4 Likes

Just buy the outdoor condenser and rig up your own tube in shells
Will take some math and skills

1 Like

If you need cheap chilling just use a air compressor or some kind of unit like that and plug it into the box and blow air through it. It’s the fastest way to chill anything to like room temp or lower

1 Like

These are garbage I’ve heard.

Too noisy but I like it

1 Like

I’ve has great results with them

1 Like

Can’t speak for @Rainbowp3nis but Bhoghart’s after sale support and customer service is hot garbage, I still remember when people on here and IRL were bitching about how those assholes wouldn’t publish simple power/cooling capacity specs for those chillers and were using dab torches right next to the BHO rigs they were using their chillers to cool down.

Here’s the thread for anyone interested: Ice Tek Chiller info

Also the lack of thermal probes/sensors is stupid af to me, good instrumentation is absolutely essential to troubleshooting. Their website also has conflicting information on different iced tech units which is pretty consistent with the entirely unprofessional way I’ve personally experienced Bhogart to do business.

What’s better and cheaper? IMO hard to compare head to head when Bhogarts website doesn’t even show correct HP figures and leaves cooling power figures or a cooling power vs temp graph out entirely. On that thread above someone said Iced Tech is Bhogarts knockoff version of Permacool’s offerings, I’d be incredibly surprised if Iced Tech systems outperformed a comparable cost or HP offering from Fluid Chillers or Perma Cool.

1 Like

Yea I’m aware of their reputation and what not. I’m local to their HQ Been dealing with them for shit almost 10 years now (as well as pretty much every other company in the game). Def have some stories.

But as far as the “ice tech “ I implemented on a system I built myself, not bhogarts) it’s pretty damn straight forward. It’s essentially the same install as a split air conditioner. For using 23 amps of current and the price, and performance I got I was not able to find anything even in the same ballpark. Will 100k+ hubers get colder? Absolutely…

And I do agree their spec sheets are usually jumbled together non sense. But I feel like most of us are pretty smart and able to figure out most of that on our own research, if not that’s why other companies exist to walk/consult you through everything

If you didn’t know, I’m the same one who started the Who sells huge cryo chillers that aren't huge disappointments? thread. I’m well aware of Huber’s costs and limitations, thats why I’m a big proponent of what Fluid Chillers and Chillking have to offer.

1 Like

I didn’t read the thread, on satellite internet right now so reading is very limited

Its a ripoff because it should only cost like 8k max. Buttfuckgart likes to mark up their products by 69,000% tho… its just a little gay is all im saying. I really like the unit and it works great but ya I guess I’m just a jew. Thought there might be someone out there with something similar for around the 69 dollar price range. Guess not.

3 Likes

Yup I agree wit ya there. But hey business is business right? I remember at one point they were selling unjacketed 4x48’s for $600 each and 3/8 tee fittings for $150. Thank GOD Xtractor depot and OSS started up back then, def shook up their hustle

I can’t speak to the components those guys use but I put together a 4.5hp dx unit with a friend who’s a refrigerant guy and it cost just over $10k. Hooked it up to a tube and shell and it worked great, the $10k price did not include the tube and shell

4 Likes

Would something like this work for you? Outdoor QT AJA7494ZXD Condensing Unit 1-1/4 HP Medium Temp R404A, 220V/1PH (USA) | eBay
I came across it, and just thought that I would share in the case that it might work

1 Like

Yep, just choose a suitable TXV. The “medium temp” rating really doesn’t mean much until you choose an expansion device. You will want to make sure you don’t exceed 10:1 compression ratio (aka keep it loaded up). Using a skid with liquid injection or vapor injection allows you to run a higher ratio (15:1) which means colder so you might look for one with one of those features. That’s sometimes what is meant by “low temp” but not always

2 Likes