BHO Color

Hey Fellas,

I was wondering what is the major factor in getting a light colored extract? I keep getting different answers was hoping for some clarity. I’ve been told it’s strain dependent, temp of hydrocarbons and water temp. I’m sure these all play a factor…what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

You are correct sir.

Those all play into the color of your extract.

In addition to those variables, there is moisture content of material, age of material & storage conditions, hydrocarbon or blend used, temp/time in oven, and ratio of solvent to starting material.

Many of those also effect your yield.
Others the viscosity in addition to the color.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info, is there a standard ratio I should be using? I’ve been running 2x1 and 4x1 hydrocarbon to dry material.

Thx

I run about 3lbs or so per lb of dry material.

I personally think its the way the material is grown is the biggest factor. I think a nutes can play a part in the color. Flush can contribute to color. I have people that really care about their material. The end result is always top shelf. I have other people that dont take care of their material at all. Its always crude for candies.

I hate foliar feed plants. Seems like those chemicals get extracted with the coupound.

Age and Storage are contributing factors, but some of the best oil ive ever made was from 2 year old material properly stored.

1 Like

Lot of extraction companies harvest their bud early to get a lighter color. I don’t like it and think the end product isn’t nearly as potent, but it’s very common practice in industry.

2 Likes

First thing I ask is if there was any foliar feeds used. I’ll plain reject the material, I don’t like weird stuff in my equipment. Same goes for pesticide, fail=no deal.

1 Like

No sprays what so ever, even organic pesticides?

Appreciate the info…

I collaborate closely with grows in order to get the best possible imput. Best just not to mess with pestacides. Remediation is a pain in the butt, plus cross contamination can occur. I still test for pesticide/mold incoming and outgoing no matter what.

4 Likes

I thought it was just me rejecting material from foliar feed plants. LOL Its usually my first question, then i usually the pesticide question usually comes up around the same time.

I see what ions71 said about harvesting early, i think you can get nearly a clear extract doing that. I recently ran some BHO that was nearly clear, but lacked the punch im used to.

Over the night…my biggest pet peave came to mind on stuff that affects color and smell as well. OH do i hate when growers use sulfer burners. Geez. I cant tell you how many times ive thrown away solvent after running and open my extractors to smell fresh sulfur extraction. I cant trust distilling the solvent will remove the sulfur as the smell has carried over after solvent distilling.

This practice needs to stop

2 Likes

I can promise you, it’s temperature of material, solvent, column, all this will take you from dark sticky, to light see thru glass garanteed

A proper purge will help for more glass like, but hell most ppl just barely purge now then jar up for couple weeks, after nucleation it’s much better product to me

Yes the earlier you harvest the lighter the trichs… But nothing will help you more than getting IR temp gun, cooler, dry ice, emergency blanket to wrap dry ice in to make last ten times longer.-55f and below to leaving most plant waxes behind

2 Likes

Could they not wash the plant before harvest then, I foliar up to week 5, I use Nectar for the God’s which definitely isn’t the lightest or best smelling stuff in world, but took my plants from good to great! Gotta get that calcium in check, the shit changing the game and nothing like anything else AMAZING, you get the root zone right, open up calcium and things go crazy, and they have that Bloom Khaos which is calcium facilitator all you growers should check in with them

They will give 6- 1quart bottles, enough to carry one plant all the way through for the price of shipping to you for free for you to do side by side, bc I’m almost convinced anyone that does, and really does with biased opinion, will be blown away, is mainly organic so it’s not that chemical shit, not saying you’ll have the biggest, but still huge and way better, and there flush doesn’t even flush ton water, just enough in there too react and send everything up and out, I love it

Props to Scott O. At NECTAR FOR THE GODS! Changing the game, hit them up for free sample, not like samples most ppl send, actually enough to send one plant through, 6- quarts! And one half pint I think

I don’t use foliar, I won’t even make an exception for washed plant material. Sorry I don’t budge on that one. Too many heavy metals.

1 Like

How long are your methods preserving the dry ice here? Do you keep the ice in a standard cooler? Any additional info on the “emergency blankets”?

This is just to keep the dry ice blocks longer, i went from a standardcooler, inside a deep freezer, to wrapping it in 2 emergency blankets, i found the tek online! My dry ice last a 7 days, it probably last longer, but by then I’m done so I don’t go look, I’ll check next time…the more i have seems like the longer it last, and the less i open the better!
But i wrap, stick in standard cooler, then the plug, then deep freezer…

O i forgot ialso use a peice of styrofoam or a windshield sun dash cover… iuse it as plug for the last thing before shutting the cooler, like the dry ice cooler at the store. The e.blankets will make a major difference though!

E.blankets are found in camping section at Walmart, they look like thin tinfoil

3 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks!

freshly harvested material before it has time to degrade

if you have to, try vacuum storing the material with no air. I feel like oxygen causes a lot of color change. Keep it sealed tight. Then next biggest would be the extraction temp like someone else mentioned before me. -50 to -70

1 Like

Could you elaborate a bit more on start to finish I’m a little bit new to this but I’ve done it a few times my oil always comes out dark and not the greatest I only have a glass tube stainless steel bowl and work off of double boiler system but I’ve read that there’s so many things that you can do I need some professional help freezing material freezing the butane I heard helps but also I’ve heard some techniques with dry ice and other things I just can’t wrap my head around the whole idea your help would be greatly appreciated before I ruin a whole big batch that will put me out a lot of money and put me in a very hard place currently my family is all very sick with covid-19 and may not be able to make it and I am forced to do things like this to try and make the mortgage payment and all the bills so that we do not end up on the streets which will happen very soon if I don’t figure out something

Andy91

from some old weed from last harvest in Aug unfortunately I dont have the money for a close loop so I’m doing this with a open blast glass tube pre froze loaded tube n beutane in deep freezer I’m mostly interested in that butane is the best to use overall I am looking to get the lightest colour honey oil possible also on that note I would like to know after I blast it and have the liquid what is the professional way of going about curing it boiling it down xcetera…
I have heard that taking your trim buds grinding them up and freezing them is a really good option also I heard putting your puke tank and in the freezer and freezing them for 5 hours really helps to contribute and having a good yield I have also heard of people using dry ice which I have no idea what that process would be used for or how to do it… it would be greatly appreciated if some people could give me a full start to finish line of operation on what to do and what not to do like I said I’m very basic just a glass tube a double boiler and some stainless steel and glass Pyrex dishes I can possibly get my hands on a purge setup but that is a 50-50 chance of getting I have heard that. Puretane Whip It butane are some of the best to use what are your opinions

I really appreciate the help coming because a lot of people don’t like giving out their secrets but I am new and don’t have anyone else to rely on to get the high-quality that I’m used to buying from the professionals I take pride and passion and what I do and I hate to see it all go to waste feel free to message me on here or private message me at my email
Knapman91@gmail.com thanks alot brothers n sisters for your help!

Andy91

from some old weed from last harvest in Aug unfortunately I dont have the money for a close loop so I’m doing this with a open blast glass tube pre froze loaded tube n beutane in deep freezer I’m mostly interested in that butane is the best to use overall I am looking to get the lightest colour honey oil possible also on that note I would like to know after I blast it and have the liquid what is the professional way of going about curing it boiling it down xcetera…
I have heard that taking your trim buds grinding them up and freezing them is a really good option also I heard putting your puke tank and in the freezer and freezing them for 5 hours really helps to contribute and having a good yield I have also heard of people using dry ice which I have no idea what that process would be used for or how to do it… it would be greatly appreciated if some people could give me a full start to finish line of operation on what to do and what not to do like I said I’m very basic just a glass tube a double boiler and some stainless steel and glass Pyrex dishes I can possibly get my hands on a purge setup but that is a 50-50 chance of getting I have heard that. Puretane Whip It butane are some of the best to use what are your opinions

I really appreciate the help coming because a lot of people don’t like giving out their secrets but I am new and don’t have anyone else to rely on to get the high-quality that I’m used to buying from the professionals I take pride and passion and what I do and I hate to see it all go to waste feel free to message me on here or private message me at knapman91@gmail.com