Best way to store shatter and crumble for long spurts?

Hey guys,

I have a few lbs of shatter and crumble that I need stored for a few weeks, maybe a month+. Buyer paid for it already but had to leave the country for a emergency.

I vacuum sealed everything and put it into a wine cooler but it seems like the shatter is starting to get darker and some of the crumble is getting wet? Pretty new to this stuff and would to know why those things are happening and how to stop it.

Thank you!

Freeze it if you can. It will absorb moisture over time so the dryer the better.

Vacuum seal then put in freezer?

That’s what I would do. Minimal degradation conditions. Cold, dark, dry.

Leaving it in the wine box is making a humid atomosphere in turn making the crumble sweat terps. Tbh it could sugar & make a nice crystalline product but that’s all between the two of you. Same with the shatter. If it’s darkening then I’d say you have nucleation occurring. Or residuals cause a nucleation which then you’ll need to wash & purify.

1 Like

But yeah cold dark storage minimal moisture & atmosphere.

1 Like

Anyone ever try a few mm of water on top their disty to keep it from being exposed to O2 ?

1 Like

Forgive the necro post but offering insight.

From my experience with shatter vacuum+warmth alone, regardless of humidity levels, will tend to cause nucleation rather quick. Left many a slab in the warm vac oven too long and came back to a sugared slab. That said, the humidity level in your working environment will greatly impact the rate at which this unfavourable reaction takes place. More humidity = more nucleation. Ergo if you can reduce the humidity level where you extract then you will reduce the degree to which your slabs “go bad into sugar daddy land”. I speculate that less time in the oven may help and I’m actually now finding that a day in the oven is just too long for good brittle BHO shatter. Some of my “under-vac’d” slabs are more brittle than “fully vac’d”…hmm

An extremely exaggerated example of this would be to work in a hermetically sealed chamber that is purged and filled with dry inert gas. There of course you would have to work with an oxygen tank+mask, although it would be ideal to vent out breathing through tubing so as to not affect the working rooms air composition. Much like a tethered diving operation.

2 Likes

That’s interesting you mention humidity. I think that if you do a shatter run on a day that has a lower pressure system alone, that will effect the initial consistency and perhaps give way to a more stable shatter. Maybe, said shatter will stay a shatter for longer because it was initially made during a low pressure system. That’s theoretical though.

You could store your stuff in an industrial freezer instead of exposing to ambient environment.

2 Likes

Lower pressure system would be less humid, right? Interesting, indeed.

Crazy idea: I want to try performing an extraction inside a vacuum chamber with a space suit and the air purged and replaced with dry nitrogen.

A friend of mine gave me an idea a few years back to make a glove box to open blast with closed column into and have it vented outside, I never did it though. Maybe you could somehow make a glove box design.

https://www.wunderground.com/ for weather. The 10-Day is what is use to determine what day I’m going to extract on. I usually aim for a low pressure system.

1 Like

I have made wvery type of concentrate in every kind of weather, even the mo th long rains in norcal and never noticed a big wnougj difference to care about . As long as your material isnt getting damp from the humidity you should be fine

3 Likes

Freezer wrapped and vacuum sealed. Close to zero happening in there. Water never. Given time. Water will works it’s way through.

consider adding a desiccant packet to absorb any moisture, and ensure that your storage environment remains consistently cool and dark