Best way to distill butane?

When distilling butane is it best to just vacuum down your recovery tank and hook the gas company tank directly into recovery tank then recover back to solvent tank? Or to fill the solvent tank with the dirty butane then run it through your empty cls to recovery tank and then recover?

Thank you,

1 Like

Vac down collection chamber backwards to the last ball valve that has gas behind it. Turn off or disconnect vacuum and add dirty butane to vacuumed chamber. Temperature matters here for leaving non specific hydrocarbons behind. When you get close to completion of distillation of the load, close the chamber and throw the last few tens or hundreds of grams away. Open chamber and clean out oils and solids that came for the ride from your dirty tank.

4 Likes

when you are running a vac during distill arent you pulling some potential undesireables? I dunno how to describe what im thinking but there is more than mystery oil as a non desirable thing in these tanks. I dunno what im doing but I guess I did the same as what you say. Pull a vac on collection and fill. Then I guess what i was referring to is not heating that shit up too much and getting in a hurry cleaning it or else some udesirables can get it. Thy have double 2 hearted ale in stock as well as hopslam so excuse my confusion please.

1 Like

What temp would you say would be max for recovery when distilling?

Thank you,

2 Likes

36C is the bp of pentane. Ive seen people go as high as 45C.

2 Likes

Make sure you recover to a clean tank or there is no use distilling.

6 Likes

What is the boiling point of your solvent?

1 Like

30.2 f

The heating capacity is more important than the top suggested temperature because 500lbs of butane in a tank takes more energy than 50lbs of butane in a tank.

When recovering your heater will struggle to keep temperature unless you have enough capacity because of evaporative cooling.

As a rule of thumb, I don’t heat my tane/hash solution beyond what I would purge it at (36c as mentioned above) BUT when distilling butane by itself you can go to 45c to speed things up, especially if the heater does not have the watts to compete with the aforementioned evaporative cooling.

Good luck

5 Likes

I will be distilling 150lbs of butane and heater is 27k watt.

If you’ve got a thermoprobe in the puddle, you don’t want to exceed that bp…

The temp of the circulator driving the distillation will need to be higher than that (because without a delta T it won’t work), but as you are attempting fractional distillation, once the temp of your puddle exceeds the bp of your target, you are, by definition, leaving that fraction.

2 Likes

That’s what a lot of people follow.

Basically do an empty cls run and distill through a sieve into vacuumed down tank.

Wipe down your cls base and repeat.

5 Likes

I’ve had good success distilling into a clean storage tank liquid phase through delta solutions 13x beads in the material column with recovery on the pot at 55C then cutting heat early close to finish, leaving the last 5lbs or so to dump. Then cleaning the entire collection pot with ethanol. Hope this helps.

1 Like

What a gnarly flashback lol Haven’t seen ol’ Bret Maverick in years lol hope that fuckers still around.

4 Likes

I learned off that guy and the man.

1 Like