Best way to decarb live resin

I tried removing after 4 hours when bubbles still visible and when i tried to mix it it got cloudy and white not clear like a distillate,and the jars with bigger amounts take a little longer
Yes the red ones still got terps trapped couldn’t clean it that good as the other one

300°F is going to start burning things. Even 275°F seems to give me a little visible vapor upon agitation.

As far as I’ve been able to tell it seems like the time and the volume are closely tied to each other. The fastest way would be in a jacketed reactor, maybe with a bit of vacuum to help draw out the evolving co2 and reduce overall oxidation.

You can use a magnetic stirring hotplate, but you need to keep the walls warm if you’re working with a deep volume. To do that you can place your container in an oil bath, or wrap it with an appropriate heat tape. Step that up to an overhead mixer, but remember to cover your vessel from debris.

With agitation, at 250°F, in submerged in oil, I was able to decarb 150-175g in just under 1.5hrs. With a magnetic stirrer and no wall heat I spent about 4 hours doing the same to 250-300g, and had to monitor it to knock down the cooling layer on top. With interval agitation, in an oven, it’s like 8-10 hrs on 400-500g, and for no agitation, in an oven, 400-500g takes closer to 12-14hrs. My experience with it.

I would say that doesn’t look done yet since there are still several streams of bubbles evolving from it.

1 Like

Make sense,i didn’t agitate at all for 9 h in the oven,oven is the best thing i got atm since i got to Decarb different jars at the same time,i just wanted to make sure the Decarb times i am
Experiencing are normal and not degrading the product,i will agitate a few time from now on during the Decarb process.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer!
:pray:

Ditch the oven, sounds crazy, i know i know. …. Hear me out

Co2 is heavier than air.
When we decarb the byproduct is Co2 and if your not disturbing the Co2 gas on top of the oil then it cant oxidize. You must agitate the oil while its hot to help break the carboxylate group away and break the bond releasing all the Co2.
If you spin all the terps out to get a nice white thca isolate you will have less chance of discolouration, especially if you only decarb to 99%ish

130c on a hot plate does wonders but you gotta watch it, if you go over 99% decarbed or allow it to cool too much the Co2 will escape the glassware and it will give you a brown swirl

Remember to add back your terps on the cool down (40c) to preserve your delta 9, its not as stable as you think

Heres a vid

Heres a Video

3 Likes

Good looks bro. I also noticed this during my decarb… it seems like they key to getting your LR to not crash back into THCA isn’t decarbing longer than normal but getting all the co2 out instead. Because I would burb my jar every 2 hours or so and mag stir it and when I’d stir it, it would go from transparent oil to foamy co2 bubbles. Interesting. Thanks for the info and I don’t think your video works btw.

Fixed link.thx

1 Like

I go ~18-24hrs. Most of that we are at home.

no need to watch it boil. Set it up and leave. Done in the morning…

We can decarb up to 40kg at a time. Run right around 100C

7 Likes

That’s impressive speed for that volume. Big vessel. With or without agitation?

1 Like

Nope several smaller vessels.
Sans stirring right now.

It’s possible I’ve missed incomplete or non-homogeneous, or even that we now go longer.

I don’t consider any of those high probability, but admit non zero. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

We aren’t going for any longer, and we’re getting 97-99% decarb in 24 hours at 98C.

6 Likes

I really figured volume would play a bigger role than that… but with several small vessels I guess you technically have quite a bit more surface area… so it makes sense in my head.

1 Like

how much conversion are you getting in 18-24 hrs? and how thick of a layer of product in the vessels?

Looking back at our last 15 COAs for decarbed material, the highest CBN I am seeing is 0.54%. Most, if they have any, are below 0.29%. Not getting much of any conversion at all.

As for how thick the extract is while decarbing, it can be anywhere from 3" to 1.5’ deep (in a 6, 8, or 10" jacketed column). Changes in volume have not shown significant differences in decarb level or conversion.

3 Likes

i mean thca converting to D9?

As I wrote in the post just up thread:

I’ve scaled up my operation with several of these bad boys……

Now only if they made them keg sized

3 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of COAs with ND’s for both CBN and THCA. We run hotter and shorter.

Typically a vessel of ~2000g is done in 6-7 hours. Once pressure stops rising (<0.5psi/30min) we begin the cool down. A digital gauge with a Taylor probe really helps here.

Need 1 probe for your gauge and matching plugs for each vessel. Put a ball valve behind the plug because they like to leak a tiny bit, more so under vacuum when the probe isn’t plugged in.

We use this gauge on the probe:

https://www.instrumentation2000.com/crystal-m1.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw4c-ZBhAEEiwAZ105RRfwi_FDnpMc2nZLgH5fT7fVhBAOWZF4RdnvsfP9uDzvJ3tu4YO8shoCc5QQAvD_BwE

7 Likes

Elegant.
Thanks for sharing!

Making it automagic wouldn’t take too much work.

1 Like

Has anyone ever tried using a ferment lid for jars?

That would be great to use with mason jars if your input material is THCa only, hence a lot of peers here talking about spinning the terps out first before decarboxylation.

The way I see it at this point is: keep the full integrity of the extract by decarbing it under pressure (preferably with the right equipment [ie not glass jars or any glass of any kind]) …… or spin your terpenes out of solution and reintroduce into the final product after decarboxylation (very similar to how most CO2 products are made).