Best Veg lighting

I’ve been using double ended HPS pretty much the entire time I’ve been growing for my vegetative cycle with imo poor results. I typically have lockouts and light stress throughout veg and when flipped into flower with the same 1000 watt lights at a much higher par the plants will miraculously recover and look great and produce well. I’m thinking it’s the lights I’m using. I can’t seem to get over 225 par without my plants looking like shit whereas I hear that I should be able to hit 400 par 18/6 for optimal growth. If I go that high with my HPS in veg they look terrible. In flower I typically hit 800-1000 par with my DE HPS and yield 1.2-1.3 GPW. Help!

Before the led advocates chime in, the dinosaur within me wonders why you wouldn’t use metal halide for veg?

10 Likes

Cmh
942 Philip’s bulbs

3 Likes

I still use metal halide for vegging. I love them lol.

3 Likes

I cut 1 weeks veg time from 2x 600mh to 2x 315cmh 4200k bulbs.

I had to alter my usual routine to compensate.

3 Likes

Like @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp already suggested why not switch your bulbs to MH during veg?

To save money, I second the mh bulb. Simply pop in a de 1000mh bulb into your light. I vegged under hps for a very long time because I’m a cheap ass, but when I scaled up, switching from hps to mh made a significant difference. Also, keep the 1kw dialed down a bit.

If you want the best veg lighting, you’re looking for quality leds or cmh though

2 Likes

When we used to use HPS lamps, we would swap out half the HPS lamps out with MH for veg. Fake full spectrum and quick veg.

2 Likes

This.

Start your tiny guys under t5 for a sec

Cfl bulbs, the spiral florescents, will get the job done, especially if you use enough of them. A ceramic socket is about a dollar fifty. A splitter is cheap and allows two bulbs in one socket. Grab an old cord to wire to it and you have a veg light for almost nothing.

I scored a case (yes a case) of t8 led 4k bulbs for 12.00 last yr at lowes. I use those for veg.

2 Likes

Cmh for the win.

3 Likes

I ordered two different LED bar kits from amazon as I am looking to set up a 90x90x24 rack with 10 lo-pro 128’s. So i need some LED strips under 30’ and low wattage as they will be close to the clones. When i finish the setup i will post some pics.

3 Likes

I’ve also been using led shop light strips for clone stage with great results both veg and while in the machine. Cheap ones. 3 pak style

1 Like

Yeah, they really dont need much light while rooting. These here that i ordered are these…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9KHC98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ocllFb74VPYK4

1 Like

+1 for MH. I’ve had good results in veg with those and switching to HPS with same ballast is convenient.

I gotta see what these CMH lights are all about…

4 Likes

LEDs on a dimmer.
or T5s to start then CMH when you need more intensity.

1 Like

I have 5+yrs of pics using cmh. Just search my screen name. I always use the same name on all platforms. With the exception of the one I was secretly banned from outting the owner from robbing/selling growers bunk seeds. It was worth it.

7 Likes