Best testing labs for specific cannabinods and products

We all know there is some labs that will identify d9 in d8 samples and others that wont. This is not about that. Im discussing labs you use for specifc needs. Eg fast trun around, gummies, specific cannabinods etc

For hemp derived products we use @kcalabs however they take 5+business days and are more expensive than most. They do have the widest selection of cannabinods and I really like there interface for howverr specicc they are before sending in a sample.

For 1 day turn around we will use new bloom labs in Tennessee. The will identify d9 in d8 whoch is a good sign.

For HHC its all over the place. ACS constanly gives 99% results which then tests at 80-92% at kca. I have also been told that some labs have the r and s isomer inverted.

Kaycha - I met one of the owners and really like the how the backend works. The pricing is probabally the best in the industry for full panels. Depending on what state your in (oregon for us) they dont have the equipment for hhc and will need to send to the tennesse lab (recently somd and called labstat now)

We have also used marin analytics for fast turn around however this lab is not accredited and payment processor wouldnt allow their tests so its mostly for r&d. I do norice that these results are often higher by about 7-8% points. Eg if we sent d8 in there it would test 94% when we send it to columbia it would test 86-88%

For terpene tests i lime @kcalabs as its easy to understand , kaycha is all over the place. However if time is of the essence i would just send to new bloom.

Gobi labs - seems to be up there and has some renowed phds from what i gather. But havwnt used them personally.

Labs I stay away from - green leaf (when d8 started they gave out sample saying less than .6 when calling the lab they were super unhelpful)
SD pharms - have often seemed like a joke but i havent really tested there.
Elite labs- just seems like a high testing lab often see results all at 99%

2 Likes

ACS labs in Florida is phenomenal and extremely accurate. Fabio is a gem I highly recommend trying them out. They are HPLC based so their tests will show similar results to your in-house testing. HPLC shows all the individual peaks for each product. I have used them for HHC as well and I can attest to their accuracy

2 Likes

So which lab has the smallest error of measurement and how are they determining their error?

Without including the error of measurement associated with the analytical method, the reported values are kind of meaningless, as evident by the wide variation you see from lab to lab.

Look for the lab that has the smallest, most consist error of measurement. If a lab is unable to provide this, simply walk away. In physical science, it is an uphill battle to be taken seriously if no error of measurement is provided with results.

BIPM: Guide to Uncertainty of Measurement

5 Likes

This is what im talking about. How do we know who is the best reference standard. I will look out for this in future. What is your opinion on the best testing facility.

1 Like

Everyone i know in the legal side of the oregon market has said they are a pita and tend to test higher than other spots.

Anecdotal but everytime i hear them mentioned it sounds like hell to try and work with them.

1 Like

Do they use a chiral method?

this lab and KCA are top notch.

( bias admitted being from Kentucky )

1 Like

I don’t see the benefit of a chiral column for resolving the two common diastereomers - am I missing something? 9R and 9S HHC from THCs aren’t enantiomers.

1 Like

Nah, that’s probably me.
Haven’t actually looked at the structures.

My understanding was that “R” vs “S” implies rotation of light == “chiral”.

My last chem class was more that 35years ago.

Care to elaborate for the rest of the class (or just my dumb ass)?

There are three chiral centers in 9R and 9S HHC. Two of the chiral centers are identical (6aR and 10aR). The only difference is with 9R and 9S. Therefore, these two substances are diastereomers and not enantiomers. Enantiomers require chiral separation. Diastereomers are separable under achiral conditions.

4 Likes

The compounds do indeed have chirality, but a chiral column is specifically for separating enantiomers which are total mirror images of each other - as in the chirality is flipped at all chiral centers.

There are three chiral centers on HHC (and only two chiral centers on THC, hydrogenating yields a third chiral center on the 9 carbon).

The chiral centers on HHC are on the 6a, 9 and 10a carbons. So 9R-HHC is short for (6aR,9R,10aR)-HHC and 9S-HHC is (6aR,9S,10aR)-HHC. You notice that the 6a and 10a are both R chirality which is how the plant produces CBD and THC, and only the chirality of 9 carbon differentiates the two - this is what makes them diastereomers rather than enantiomers, and diastereomers can be resolved without a chiral column. For two compounds to be diastereomers, it presupposes that they have more than one chiral center - and their chirality has to be opposite at some but not all of the chiral centers i.e. not truly mirror images of each other.

In short:

(6aR,9R,10aR) and (6aR,9S,10aR) are not mirror images (enantiomers) of each other, they are diastereomers and do not require a chiral column.

(6aR,9R,10aR) and (6aS,9S,10aS) are mirror images (enantiomers) of each other, and they do require a chiral column. However, no one is making (6aS,9S,10aS)-HHC and the 6a and 10a are fixed as R by the plant.

5 Likes

Yeah, that was the bit that got lost in the pot smoke over the years.

Not mirror images == don’t require additional magic to differentiate.

Thank you.

1 Like