Best pumps? 5L roto and 2L spd

Hello, I have just purchased a RE-501 5L rotovap and Chinese mantle (best value version).
I’m leaning towards grabbing an Edwards 28 for the mantle as it seems like the best pump I can find for the money. This was the top choice between that and a Welch 1400. Reason for not choosing the Welch is I keep seeing ppl say it’s barely adequate, so rather just buy something good from the start. I would still love if someone else could share another opinion just so I’m confident I’m making the right decision.
Next I’m going to look into pumps for my roto vap.

For the past 6 months I have been using an AI easy vac 7, and have no complaints really, aside from constant oil changes. It has ran strong and still runs strong, but it is being sent elsewhere and I feel like this isn’t the optimal pump for the application anyway, so I’m looking to find the proper pump this time for my new setup. Was hoping someone could shed some insight.

Welch wobl for the 5L rotovap

Alcatel 2021i, trivac, Edward’s, welch 1400 are all good spd vac pumps

4 Likes

Mastercool 6cfm with the manifold valve on it works great with the re-501

Can I ask why the wob-l?

It’s a diaphram vac pump. If it accidentally “ingests” the ethanol, no damage to the pump.

I dont use a cold trap on my re-501 (rotovap).

1 Like

Makes sense. I do run a coldtrap, but why run one if you dont have to in my opinion. i still find shit gets past my coldtrap tho sometimes and i have to change my oil. Howcome I read about everyone using ethanol?? We are using Isopropyl.

1 Like

Ipa/iso pulls a lot more fats, lipids, waxes, even at cryo temps. Ethanol doesn’t pull nearly any at cryo temps.

Believe me, I much like 70.00 per 5 gal of 99% ips/iso vs 250.00 per 5 gal of 200 proof NON-denatured any day.

so with ethanol you get a cleaner finished product essentially?? I’m only pulling 80ish % atm and not too happy with it. I’m hoping the pump upgrade helps that out alot but feel like its a bit more than that.

Which model of wob-l would you recommend?

I have a vacuum pump hording problem. Also have 2 spd vac pumps, and one for my vac oven. And 2 more welch 1402 sitting collecting dust.

Lol

Welch wob-l 2522b-01

2 Likes

I see. Looks like you need some help hoarding one of those bad boys :wink::wink:

1 Like

shit they are cheap actually

Used under 200
New 500ish I think

are they good for filtration too?

Yes. I use 3x 600ml buchner funnels on 1 pump. 2 buchner funnels may be a bit quicker, but it works.

1 Like

I’m just running one stainless 6 inch filter setup. The BVV one thats like a 6" spool with a stand

have you hooked them up on a vac gauge? I just got one and it’s reading 500torr

1 Like

Where do you get the regulators for those? I ordered one off eBay and it didn’t come with it and the ones I am finding online cost more than what I paid for the vacuum itself.

If they are impossible to find do you have a recommendation of what else I could use?

Never used out. Open the valve a bit as a regulator.

i guess I’m talking about the cup with the little ping pong ball in it. Mine has the gauge but not that cup and so it is worthless and I have just been hooking up my line directly to the pump and am worried I’m going to ruin it this way and also can’t control how much vacuum I get.

Gotcha

May have to go to Welch’s website. Iirc, they sell spares. I still get email ads from them for parts.

Also, it’s a diaphram pump, it’s very hard to ruin these