Best mix - CBD+CBDa

Looking for links to any research papers or input from anyone experienced in this subject, covering the benefits of CBD+CBDa, and detailing recommended ratios between the two.

1 Like

Something something Dr mechollum something something :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you for the clue. Found this about Dr. Mechoulam and his current research, but it does not really answer my question.

The following article from Molecules was very helpful:

Reading between the lines, I have figured out a starting point of 10% by weight compared to CBD in an MCT-based tincture. I am currently decarbing prior to ETOH extraction, distilling under reduced pressure and purging in a vacuum chamber. I am going to run a batch including 10% undecarbed biomass and see how the test results come back.

1 Like

If you are distilling the extract you will likely lose any acid forms of the cannabinoids.

Maybe my message lacked clarity. I am using a laboratory still to evaporate off the bulk of the ETOH, not to distill the CBD oil. Under partial vacuum, evaporation flask temperatures are normally around 60degC and could be reduced further if necessary.

Gotcha.

60°C in ethanol (or any other highly protic solvent) will cause some decarb, though it should not be complete. I would suggest starting with a higher percent of non-decarbed material to build in some overshoot.

2 Likes

Jargon Clarification: that process is referred to as “solvent recovery” around here to distinguish it from “cannabinoid distillation”.

as for “best” ratio, that depends on the goal. CBD and CBDA have different therapeutic properties.

…and if you delve into what he’s been up to for the last 50years?!?

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I will remember that in future. Not being a trained chemist, I am picking up this stuff as I go along. Most of my knowledge has come from this list, which I have been following for the past year or so.

Regarding “best” ratio, I was alluding to the entourage effect, which I have read can be enhanced by the presence of CBDa.

I found this article today:

still doesn’t address WHY you’re using it. which is WHERE the ratio might make a difference…

the “entourage effect” is generally thrown around regarding the NON-cannabinoid constituents in extracts. synergistic effects from mixed canninoids are certainly not excluded, but referring to a CBD/CBDA interaction as “entourage” effect implies a “crew of two”…

here is a decent starting point.

https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2011.01238.x

to quote the top of that article:

Raphael Mechoulam isolated CBDA in 1965.

he’s has been publishing on it for 55 years… many of his papers should be in the Data Dump! (Scientific Papers)

2 Likes

this means you’ve kicked most of the entourage out before the party started (liquor got here).

don’t.

then (partially) Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

1 Like

I have been experimenting using a pressure cooker and flan casings. The temperature under pressure is ideal for decarbing, and I am presuming that the steam pressure helps inhibit any significant escape of volatiles. I put the casings in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours before opening. They certainly have a very fragrant aroma when opened.

1 Like