Best Methods For Promoting A New Dispensary?

We are launching a new dispensary and want your input on the best ways to promote the location.

Leafly, Weedmaps, Google ads, radio ads, specials, giveaways, what is the best way to promote the dispensary? What services are the best, give a return on investment, etc?

Any advice for how to engage with the local community, drive 5 star ratings, and be a shop that resonates “Good Life Gang”.

Thank you

1 Like

I personally use Leafly. Something I always enjoyed while living in Portland was specials for certain days of the week. Shatterday, locals only discounts on Turf-Tuesdays if you lived in the same zip code as the dispo, etc. Pay some college kids to hand out flyers on campus, throw a BBQ. Team up with one of the business nearby for a 10% discount at both places with a receipt from the other. I’m definitely not in marketing, this is just what I’ve enjoyed as a consumer and it definitely had an impact on where I shopped.

7 Likes

Make sure your staff is friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming of patients and customers alike,
I’ve been to dispensaries where i felt like i walked into a friends house, and I’ve walked into others where you are completely ignored by the staff, and there is no ambiance.
The EXPERIENCE is everything, it does not matter if you have beautiful girls budtending, and the most creative marketing , and the brightest/ modern looking dispensary… if your employees, and You… as an owner don’t inspire people to try new products, or teach them something new, or captivate them in any way shape or form, you may not get returning patients, Price, discounts & selection are obviously a factor as well . I’ve seen high traffic stores do very well with a BBQ and music entertainment as well, but they had a loyal following to begin with, and the bbq and music is a way of giving thanks to the patients.
The collectives i’ve consulted before have seen a dramatic change in returning patients,
as well as increase in sales, and a decrease in theft.

4 Likes

Weedmaps

1 Like

Not google ads.

Set up a free google “my business” account. That will get you listed on the google map.

Then when people ask their phone where the closest dispensary is, your listing will come up for locals.

1 Like

have a few of them sign swinging people with signs saying free weed for a month…im sure you will have plenty of customers asking how they get free weed. Have a buy 1 get 1 on something and go to town!

3 Likes

Weedmaps just got a DEA order. Have fun with that mess. Hope your info is NOT in their system

Knock
Knock

@TheFeds

3 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny…

4 Likes

I think most people go to the dispensaries closest to them 90% of the time and pick between those. Of the three or four that are pretty close to me, one was definitely my favorite, mainly just because it had the best flower. So getting listed on google maps and the various site maps is a must. Having your dispensary obviously marked from the outside and aesthetically appealing would also help. Frequent sales and always having a few budget but good quality options is also a plus.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mess with google ads. Good way to get banned. Or any ads for that matter. However, do list your business on google. It’s free and allows you to show up on the maps when people make searches. Stuff keywords (a short 4 word description) after your dispensary name, can confirm this has helped other unrelated businesses drum up traffic.

Create a website then shitpost across the internet to get backlinks. I’d spend about a full week doing this. The reason for this is how the internet works, you need search bots to crawl and discover your website, making them index it.

Then probably the best thing you can do is get people on insta that have an audience identical to your local demographic to promote your business in a catchy way. Find your city’s biggest insta ‘influencer’ in your field. Bonus points for using memes, because at the end of the day people just want to be entertained when they jump on insta.

Ultimately you need to put yourself into the shoes of your customers. What do you have that they need? How would you find yourself if you were in their shoes?

3 Likes

Is this pushing the boundaries of ethical marketing at all?

1 Like

I think it’s great from my point of view. If weed smokers can’t take a joke, those are probably the customers you don’t want.

3 Likes

Maybe add something about not sharing bongs and joints.

3 Likes

My best dispensary experience was in Desert Hot Springs, CA. They had an icee machine in the waiting lobby. I’m talking blue and red.
The security guard also had a very nice uniform, military grade.

House blunts instead of, “house joints”.

Bic lighters instead of the typical, “crack lighters”. Bonus if you make tiny stickers with your logo/dispensary name and put them on the lighters.

Good quality stickers can go a long way. Putting them on skate decks and the like.

2 Likes

Offer up a delivery service, this would be a good time for that. Also, offer your elder patients a meal or grocery delivery with a certain $ purchase.

1 Like