Best method for immediate distillate storage

Now that I’ve recently began distilling and have quite a few jars building up, I’ve been researching a lot about storage, oxidation, red ring/color etc. I have concerns about making pens and having them turn red, etc. I’ve read a lot about nitrogen/vacuum storage and all kinds of other methods. at the moment I don’t have access to nitrogen so I wanted to know what’s my best option to currently store my distillate until I can get the proper equipment or method.

The distillate is currently in mason jars. Should I refrigerate,freeze, or place in one of my vac ovens open/loosely covered and pull a vac? Currently they are in a slightly chilly room, in a box to avoid light. So for now, what’s my best method of storage given what I have. As with anything, oxidation / color change is a rabbit hole of research I get sucked into. I’ve avoided going into cruise control distilling and decided to give my jars a few days/weeks to observe any changes. The last thing I need is to have 20 jars turn red or be ruined.

1 Like

Try pulling a vac on the jars and sealing them in the vac oven, then store in the refrigerator.

2 Likes

Would this be done by placing them In the oven with the center part of the lid on, let that suck down then screw on the ring?

2 Likes

Just the vacuum from my small vac chamber is plenty to store this stuff. The key seems to be just not letting in any new atmosphere during storage. Pulljng a vac in a bell jar with the lud on will vacuum seal and imo is the best. I suggest also keeping out of the light.

I have frozen the stuff but otherwise not protected it and it degrades anyway. Also any heat approaching the temp of a room heater will trigger the change as well. The purity of your sample also makes a difference. First or second run if not made water clear will not seemingly degrade as fast as very high purity stuff. I believe some wax and some terps and such help prevent oxidation but my proof is anecdotal. I have no test… currently … to see what is going in such cases.

If my embroidery machine does sell on Tuesday I might tool up with an instrument that can detect stuff like this. If that device can get accurate with practice then maybe I can do a better study of the breakdown of THC. Good luck.

6 Likes

yes, place rings on canning jars loosly then pull full vacuum on the oven. Upon releasing the vacuum in the ove the lids will seal to the jar.

3 Likes

Look into a Mason Jar FoodSaver. Its a vacuum attachment that fits onto the jar and pulls a deep enough vac for easy storage. Its easy enough to buy off Amazon. I even fitted mine to work on my Welsh Diaphragm pump.
I have been using that Tec for a while now and a side-by-side comparison of jars with the seal and without is immediately obvious. I have had jars sit for months with no degradation.

1 Like

What would be the best way to store pens already filled?

With their included silicone caps

1 Like

Caps on, vacuum sealed, labeled and placed in the fridge. I do like a 100 in a vacuum pouch

1 Like

I’ll probably get kick out of the extractors guild for this but. Food grade argon is best way to prevent oxidation. Good luck with that tip. :wink:

2 Likes

Why argon over nitrogen?

It’s a heavier than nitro.

3 Likes