Best ethanol extractor

Newbie think of buying a Medxtractor or Extractorcraft.
Would like some advice based in the UK.

Thanks

I can advise u to read the forums all will be revealed @Belch

2 Likes

Thanks

Trying…

I’m not familiar with either of those but looks like you are interested in small scale etoh extraction?

Do you have any equipment already? Rotovap?

What end product are you going for?

Have you read these:

Give some more details in your OP and you’ll get more valuable feedback re: what equiment might work best for you.

3 Likes

I work for a company that makes automated ethanol extraction equipment. It isn’t the cheapest but we think it’s the best. Just load a bag and hit a button.

1 Like

Extractcraft seems cool for personal RSO or crude.
I believe they are based out of Longmont, CO.

Are you interested in learning the chemistry behind these extractions or just want to make your own medicine?

If you want to learn and grow, save your money for different equipment and study the process.

If you have a sick relative and you need RSO, a rice cooker and the phoenixtears website will accomplish it for cheap.

Edit: just don’t use naphtha like Rick Simpson suggests. Food grade ethanol is a much better alternative

2 Likes

And don’t waste your money on an Etoh Pro, or Source Turbo! Buy a rotovap if you’re going to spend the money on something to reclaim your etho…It’s cheaper, and better than their options (IMO)
Or a Panda spinner

7 Likes

Would like to learn the chemistry,are there any books that could help me?

Will check out the panda spinner,seen that on here a few times.

2 Likes

Start with general Organic Chemistry

O K
Thanks,looks like a long road.
Will get myself some books on it.

1 Like

Check out Zubrick’s Organic Chemistry Survival Guide, it’s a winner:

5 Likes

Is on order,have plenty to read if I catch COVID
:grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Hi Belch, am also looking at the ETOH pro or the Medxtractor Disruptor 21. Can’t seem to find anybody online who uses the Medxtractor units, have you made your decision yet? If so, which one and why?
Thx.

Essential Alcohol-based Extractor Operating Video – MedXtractor Looks neat

But I’ll always say just get a 2L rotovap and learn how to filter directly into it

1 Like

Read the Zubrick’s thanks,slowly getting the idea…

Thinking the Medxtractor as they also do bigger units.

I haven’t run a Medxtractor before, but I own a Turbo and have just finished running fifteen (15) ½ gallon runs through an EtOH Pro. It looks like they are both vacuum stills, operating on the same principles.

Both are also designed with the home user in mind, so are much simpler to operate than a rotovape which performs the same function. Also easier to harvest finished product than from a rotovape, though on both I typically pour early to reduce the residual film left in the container and finish elsewhere.

Clean up on the EtOH was easy with the wide open container, and involved just wiping the wetted surfaces with a an ethanol wetted towel.

Rotovapes are more versatile in what they will run and how deep a vacuum they may pull with the right pump, but with more details to manage than essentially setting a dial and pushing a button and the glass is more fragile. Especially if you buy a cheap import with thin glass that hasn’t been fully annealed after forming.

Below are links to our tests of the quality Heidolph rotovap, as well as our Extract Craft Turbo tests, but I’m still working on my EtOH test article, so I will summarize.

The EtOH operated as represented for 15 runs without malfunction and ethanol losses were minimal. I early poured some into shallow dishes to evaporate away the balance before finishing it on parchment using the EtOH boiling chamber as a heated vacuum purge chamber.

That step required using the auxiliary vacuum lid they supplied and I used my own vacuum pump, while controlling the heat using the EtOH dial settings. A nice feature in that it saves the cost of an additional vacuum purge chamber with heating and controls.

Does the Medxtractor also have that feature?

The balance I finished as a MCT oil tincture by removing the alcohol in the EtOH and replacing it with MCT oil directly in the recovery pot, before decanting into dropper bottles and adding cinnamon flavoring oil.

As for recovery efficiency, I dumped the spit jar and did a couple false starts on the EtOH pro to clear any alcohol out of its condenser, before pouring in 1500 ml of 190 proof measured with the meniscus at the exact top of the line on the ½ gallon jar. I then cycled that through the EtOH Pro and finished with a couple false starts to clear the condenser, dumped the spit jar, and the recovered alcohols meniscus was at the bottom of the line on the same ½ gallon jar, so losses are minimal.

You might check that on the Medxtract, as the picture doesn’t appear to show room for the same sized heat exchanger as the EtOH Pro.

For a home unit whose operation involves setting a dial and pushing a button, as well as its ability to be used to vacuum purge concentrates, the EtOH Pro a good choice.

As important, is that Extract Craft is a solid company with good technical support should you need it.

3 Likes

Great review,found another site to read up on…

1 Like

If I am absorbing the forum information right, the EtOH Pro could replace a 2-5L Rotary Evaporator for reclaiming solvent after doing something like the Bucket Tek w/ Hemp CBD Biomass.

Bucket Tek → Etoh Pro → Fully decarb in SPD → SPD ?

Am I on the right track here?