Benzene in KUSH SUPPLY / KUSH CO / GREENLANE / GAS INNOVATIONS / DIVERSIFIED

Is it really headspace analysis if the gas being withdrawn comes from a liquid port? If it was coming from a vapor port it would be a sample of the headspace for sure. If the sample comes through the diptube, wouldn’t it be more representative of the liquid contents of the vessel?

On the other hand, as soon as it’s in the bag, the gas inside the bag becomes headspace, with heavy elements likely precipitating out of the gas and condensing on the inside of the bag. Maybe a residual analysis of the inside of the bag would be helpful, but doubtful that there would be enough residue present for testing with the extremely small amounts of gas transferred to the bag.

Perhaps there is a membrane filter of some sort that would collect heavy elements like oils and whatnot that liquid gas could be ran through to collect samples for analysis. I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there.

2 Likes

headspace is just gas-phase sampling versus liquid injection

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct anything that is not a gas at room temp will fail to show up on any analysis performed on a rm temp sample taken from the tedlar bag.

You are also correct that a solvent wash of said bag would be a reasonable work around.

I’ve only GOT one bag at the moment…so I have no intention of sending it to @kcalabs. That suggestion was a joke: “if I can mail it, it’s safe…”.

For me, getting a LIQUID sample was important. If I take a headspace sample from my solvent tank, that tells me more about the temperature of my solvent than it does about the blend…

5 Likes

Independent testing has found hundreds of popular personal care items in the US to be contaminated with benzene, a highly carcinogenic chemical, prompting several big brands to voluntarily recall dozens of products in recent months.

The findings suggest benzene contamination is widespread and is probably in more products that have not yet been tested, says David Light, Valisure’s chief executive. To date, Valisure has tested 662 items and found the chemical in 180, or about 27%, of products.

2 Likes

This was in the news this afternoon, just copied it but it seems a lot of people are effected by this… and this snippet in the whole article…

In many cases, Valisure found one batch of a product would contain benzene while another of the same product would not. That highlights the complexities and lack of oversight in the global supply chains that produce personal care products. A propellant like butane that’s refined very early in the manufacturing process “touches dozens of different hands” in its journey from raw material to sunscreen on a shelf, yet nobody detected benzene, Light said.

Valisure most frequently found benzene in body sprays, which includes deodorants and anti-perspirants: nearly half of the 108 products from 30 different brands contained it. The highest levels were found in Sure, Old Spice, Secret, Equate, Right Guard, Tag and Brut.

1 Like

Anything that’s liquid under it’s own vapor pressure should be analyzed in liquid phase. The headspace is rife with air gas contamination. O2, CO2

3 Likes