Benzene in KUSH SUPPLY / KUSH CO / GREENLANE / GAS INNOVATIONS / DIVERSIFIED

“Gas supliers dont care”. What???

There are good and bad suppliers in all industries. The big question is why would anyone deal with a supplier that doesn’t care about the products they are selling? There are other suppliers available. Check your options.

5 Likes

Please reach out if you were effected by the Benzene contamination in your solvent. Our attorney is starting a class action lawsuit. Thanks.

9 Likes

2202CGL0541.1212 - Syndicate Lancaster - Gelato x Terry T x Terry T.pdf (558.8 KB)

This sample was sent in before purging. Our first r&d test that showed benzene in the sample. Gonna have management look for the batch of butane responsible for this run.

2 Likes

Ever wondered what solvent blend you were running?

16 Likes

what’s up with the shoulder on the propane peak? maybe I smoked too much sativa this morning.

1 Like

@TRIPPIE was right….(isobutane)

Edit: not the shoulder you meant. No clue. Higher loading shows more peaks.

6 Likes

looks nice and symmetrical there to the baseline on both sides. The first one didn’t look quite symmetrical and had that shoulder like there was a hidden peak coeluting.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at (possibly post) the higher loadings of yesterday’s gas blend.

I’m sampling liquid as it goes into the bottom of the column. there are likely compounds that have come from our biomass in there. I haven’t formalized (figured out how to) sample our incoming cylinders yet.

the above are 1:10000 dilutions of the sampled gas. at 1:10 I can see more peaks. actually identifying them is an entirely different matter.

On the list of todo’s is to (safely) detonate a full sampling bag so that everybody thinking of following along at home understands the magnitude of stupidity involved.

Might try involving the fire department on that one. Except they might then tell me I’m not allowed to play this game.

:thinking:

@kcalabs: how big of a butane filled tedlar bag can I send you?!?

Edit: here is the 1:1000 in black on top of the 1:10,000 in red.

My dilutions are not precise, but they seem reproducible.

Figuring out who this little guy is might be informative…

10 Likes

We may have another option than sending a bag of highly flammable gas across the country. The tedlar is good for testing it yourself or delivering it directly to a lab.

Let me find out what the team wants to send you to collect in that is safer to ship to us.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Like I said in the other post, I’m going for propene/propylene.

See peaks 5,6 below.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Here is a link to the alternative: Volatile Collection Trap, VCT

In order to accurately test it we’ll have to perform method development.

If we could perform headspace analysis from the tedlar bag that’d be ideal.

Do you have a local lab that can do the work with the bags?

4 Likes

We have one we can use in Los Angeles.

2 Likes

Is it really headspace analysis if the gas being withdrawn comes from a liquid port? If it was coming from a vapor port it would be a sample of the headspace for sure. If the sample comes through the diptube, wouldn’t it be more representative of the liquid contents of the vessel?

On the other hand, as soon as it’s in the bag, the gas inside the bag becomes headspace, with heavy elements likely precipitating out of the gas and condensing on the inside of the bag. Maybe a residual analysis of the inside of the bag would be helpful, but doubtful that there would be enough residue present for testing with the extremely small amounts of gas transferred to the bag.

Perhaps there is a membrane filter of some sort that would collect heavy elements like oils and whatnot that liquid gas could be ran through to collect samples for analysis. I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there.

2 Likes

headspace is just gas-phase sampling versus liquid injection

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct anything that is not a gas at room temp will fail to show up on any analysis performed on a rm temp sample taken from the tedlar bag.

You are also correct that a solvent wash of said bag would be a reasonable work around.

I’ve only GOT one bag at the moment…so I have no intention of sending it to @kcalabs. That suggestion was a joke: “if I can mail it, it’s safe…”.

For me, getting a LIQUID sample was important. If I take a headspace sample from my solvent tank, that tells me more about the temperature of my solvent than it does about the blend…

5 Likes

Independent testing has found hundreds of popular personal care items in the US to be contaminated with benzene, a highly carcinogenic chemical, prompting several big brands to voluntarily recall dozens of products in recent months.

The findings suggest benzene contamination is widespread and is probably in more products that have not yet been tested, says David Light, Valisure’s chief executive. To date, Valisure has tested 662 items and found the chemical in 180, or about 27%, of products.

2 Likes

This was in the news this afternoon, just copied it but it seems a lot of people are effected by this… and this snippet in the whole article…

In many cases, Valisure found one batch of a product would contain benzene while another of the same product would not. That highlights the complexities and lack of oversight in the global supply chains that produce personal care products. A propellant like butane that’s refined very early in the manufacturing process “touches dozens of different hands” in its journey from raw material to sunscreen on a shelf, yet nobody detected benzene, Light said.

Valisure most frequently found benzene in body sprays, which includes deodorants and anti-perspirants: nearly half of the 108 products from 30 different brands contained it. The highest levels were found in Sure, Old Spice, Secret, Equate, Right Guard, Tag and Brut.

1 Like

Anything that’s liquid under it’s own vapor pressure should be analyzed in liquid phase. The headspace is rife with air gas contamination. O2, CO2

3 Likes