Benzene in butane

can you say which one?

Just find it odd some of us here have been having formations we have never seen in years of extracting but now for the last few months shits been weird. Also the price of oil/gas in general has gone up rapidly in the last year but our price for butane has stayed the same and in some cases dropped. These companies are either now getting a cheaper supply or losing more margin and I suspect its cheaper gas.

5 Likes

It’s also a problem with clients always asking vendors if they can beat a price eventually there is no margin and then vendors have to cut quality in order to profit.

This is a reason I’ve never price matched or asked for an invoice to beat.

7 Likes

In 2019 the Oakland lab I worked for literally gave SC labs a 25% full 120lb solvent tank too test and they happily did. I’m sure there are more efficient ways to do this though. Surprised at the above replies of companies not supplying COA on their gas. Seems like a cheap thing to test. Seeing residual solvents is done hundreds if not thousands of times per day in CA. Now clay composition and particle size distribution tests are crazy expensive, easy 5 figures.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I expect. I know what we pay for gas has basically no margin to be had. One of the results if this is going to be a meeting with my supplier and figure it what a service is going to cost that never has this happen.

2 Likes

Edit due to my mismemory

1 Like

100% miss remembering something… he would always ask for my invoices…even sent people for invoice to forward them to the vendor…

Ive never asked for anyones invoices and when asked to match i kindly refuse and tell them to purchase from that vendor. i would never use a business tactic like that. Im above that!

4 Likes

This is what it was! Hahahaha

1 Like

Has anyone tried to distill this benzene crude in a short path?

1 Like

I may have to. I imagine it should come out in heads. Sadly it’s not crude that I made, it’s amazing smelling HTE that has it mainly :confused:

2 Likes

I dont know why you’d need a short path, the pressure generated from heating the butane should create enough pressure to keep the benzene from turning to vapor.

Oops I didn’t see u were talking about crude now

2 Likes

I have a gc5000 pump that actually pulls a slight vacuum on recovery unless I go super hot. It distilled over in the gas. At least enough did to have it still be detectable but who knows maybe I would be stuck with 500 ppm instead of 2-14 had I not distilled it.
@Franklin

1 Like

I want to talk to some people who are really testing hot. We could easily identify if it is one supplier

5 Likes

From my knowledge of it there are only a handful of big companies making it and then most buy from them. Im sure there a few resellers thag are more often than not selling sub standard either on purpose or lack of knowledge. I only mentioned that company because of all the problems myself and alot of other people had with them. When simply asked there answers reflected the lil amount of knowutbey had.

How do we test gas? Do we need to test the tanks separately?

2 Likes

Is there a way to sticky posts like this to the top of the forum for a few days? This seems like a post that pinning to top would benefit the community safety and health wise greatly.

6 Likes

@sidco me again.

1 Like

Start with testing gas before it comes into the processing/filling facility to make sure you get what you think you got, test regularly in holding tanks, spot test after filling into clean tanks for end users. That’s from a distributor’s perspective. Mistakes happen, sometimes you get nBut when you ordered Iso, but there’s not much that excuses a contaminated batch of anything making its way into several labs.

From an end user point of view, you’d hope it’s one less thing on your plate. I can’t image having the time/equipment/personnel in every lab to run every tank of solvent through a GC. Unfortunately this can be another greedy side of the industry. Best advice, if you can, find a specific rep/team/account manager who will actually answer your questions when things come up and acts like they give somewhat of a shit about what you do.

4 Likes

You at least know what your talking about rather than some of these companies who sales reps worked at jc penny’s the week before. Other than that company I mentioned ive never had a problem with my local people when doing random spot checks on tanks

2 Likes

“Giving a shit” should always be the first step in QC. Goes a long way.

10 Likes