Bee Around Cannabis

I’d love to try some of that honey!

Butterflys are easier than bees.

1 Like

The canna honey has to come from spraying the plants with some sort of sugar. Bees like anything with sugar, actual honey would be their ideal food to collect. The only way to make it pure cannahoney would be to contain them in a greenhouse, but they will not be healthy bees as they need variety of nectar to prosper.

1 Like

Plant a variety of other flowers as a cover crop for them to gather pollen and nectar from. Snapdragons, honeysuckle, Blueberries could all easily take up the lower landscape, ya?

6 Likes

Soooo when broad acre hemp farming is considered, you should know your providing a hefty meal for the bee’s when little else is flowering in mid july to august since we dont spray hemp alot in eu.

To get some perspective from a bee’s perspective. Also would be interesting if it boost the bees imune system aswell.

I think the residue cbx that would be present between the pollen collected but in small amounts due to the unripness of the females in the time of collection of male pollen so kidna contradictory.

I would love to test some hemp pollen honey for cbx.

Anyone has some in EU?

lol, I have to chime in here… years ago in a different lifetime I had the yearning to live in a self-sustaining way. I had gardens, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, a couple dozen hives, and rabbits. I often fed the rabbits alfalfa and wondered what if I feed them all of my trim… hash pellets… man that’s some good shit!!

You didn’t try it? Chickens will eat trim leaves in my experience.

Your old life sounds like the one I’m trying to set out on. Cause for reflection :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’d be practical to try feeding the bees one crop but if you had a bunch of male cannabis plants dropping pollen (no one has brought up the males yet lol) during the different summer “flows” of nectar, the bees will for sure be on the pollen and it would be distinct I’m sure. The honey too I’d think but I don’t know. I have a neighbor I could ask about this more.

Here’s some pollen mixed up from all different seasons. The different colors are different seasons.

no reflection here, this was back in the 70’s when things were a little different. Now… Self-Sustaining means… money under the mattress, ribeyes in the freezer, and a social security check in the mailbox

1 Like

Unfortunately honey bees are after nectar. Bees will use pollen to make propylis, but I have only seen bumble bees seek out male plants for pollen. I have never seen a honey bee on a weed plant. Maybe it happens somewhere, idk.

1 Like

Bees collect resin and pack in on one leg at a time.

3 Likes

Haha I meant for me!

1 Like

I have on a different thread or somewhere. I think it would be a great idea for them to make the wax from the pollen. I didn’t know at the time the bees need a diversity in pollen and nectar. But as I said above, a thick cover crop of honey suckles, Blueberries, and other wild flowers may help if you were containing them. Just a hypothesis

2 Likes

That’s got to be a one in a million kind of pic. Propylis can be made from a lot of different trees and plants. If there were no other options, bees would use whatever they had available. But once again, propylis isn’t a food, it is a building material.

It was taken by one of our own @Thetetraguy

4 Likes

Cannabis heavy Bee pollen seems like it could be a thing. The honey wouldn’t be cannabis influenced since that would be based on the nectar as @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp clarified.

The resin pic from @FicklePickle is interesting. Looks like a dab on his leg lol.

3 Likes

The bees eat pollen don’t they? They form the little pellets I posted above as a store of food if I’m not mistaken. It’s like 40% protein.

If we are talking about the european honey bee that is commonly raised in north america for honey, then they only actually eat honey, which is made from nectar (or any sugar, really, often left behind by humans.) They may ingest pollen, water, sap, whatever, but they will regurgitate it when back in the hive and use it for other purposes.

Having said all of that, bees are survivalists and will often find a way to make do with whatever they have on hand. I can’t speak to what happens in every hive everywhere, just what normally does.

2 Likes

They sure love soda pop

Absolutely. Dunkin doughnuts doughnut glaze, too.

1 Like