Battery backup needed for C1D1 gas detection system..advice needed

You’re in Michigan?

I am in CA, and can easily built you a Secondary UPS backup into a smaller NEMA 3R panel. You would need to wire incoming power to the new panel, and run the new panels output uninterruptable power to the C1D1 control panel.

Sound easy enough?

I will ask my panel guy if he can do it, DM me specs abt your booths power requirements.

You only want fan and LEL sensor capabilities?
Or are you trying to run the equipment too, off pf a UPS.
Thats a bigass UPS, FYI, even to run the fans.

1 Like

I am only looking to run the gas detector…it is the only required item from our inspector. I am looking to do something myself if possible, but I may need to have someone build it. How much would something like this cost to have built? It is an Advanced Extraction Labs booth and the pic have all of the details.

Do 1 of two things for me.

Take a super high quality picture of the panel enclosure components, or upload a panel wire diagram document.

Super hard to see how the power is running, need to see how the LEL communicates and connects to the VFD.

You may have issues isolating the incoming power channel between the VFD and LEL if they designed the panel shitty, FYI.

FYI this type of work may trigger a requirement for a peer review update/reprint.

Not sure if you can have PSI reapprove it with the UPS added to incoming power.

I can get my PE to stamp it too, with whatever modifications you do. :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Hopefully these are better pics and you can see it. If it is something that triggers the need for a new peer review I can probably get around that since this is a new requirement for the bureau of fire services. If not we will approach that when it comes. Thank you very much for your help.

2 Likes

Snap a good photo of the actual panel buildout.
Easier to decipher component’s on the panel, that line diagram is so hard to read lol.

Edit: Actually I’ll probably be able to reverse engineer it on my laptop, its clear enough.

Without having the fans (which should ramp up upon hitting 10% LEL) on back up power, how does having the flammable gas detector on a UPS make one any safer?!?

1 Like

I for one am actually surprised it took this long for an AHJ to require UPS backup.

I would dare to say ALL C1D1’s in the US must have a UPS backup for their LEL sensors minimally, as power outages are to be expected and prepared for.

Your sensors will alert local personal to evacuate the location.

If there is a power outage, you should have an emergency protocol to shutoff all incoming power, to avoid any possibly surge when incoming power gets turned back on.

That LEL sensor is the liability point, if it works when powers out, thats all that matters.

Fire authorities and 3rd party reviewers each decipher the NFPA code in their own way. Tacking on their own requirements along the way.

I personally would prefer the fans kept running…

We have full back up power (generator). I don’t know when it was last tested, or how fast it kicks in.

I suspect I should put those on my list for this week…

I’ve been told that the robot we’ve got playing with the bomb fails cleanly on power loss, but taking anyone else’s word for that is probably not ideal.

4 Likes

What county are you in?

@cyclopath When your facility, or more specifically when your control panel loses power, the pneumatics for the valves on your system shut off and all valves move to their default position: Normally Open/Normally Closed. All of the solvent transfer/isolation valves are normally closed so they will close upon loss of power to the HMI/pneumatics. The coolant isolation valves are Normally Open because your chillers may not lose power when the HMI does, so this prevents the chiller circulation pump from dead heading and destroying itself in situations where the HMI loses power but the chillers do not.

2 Likes

It does a test run every week, and the switchover is immediate.

TBH I am not sure…it is some new hoop we are being made to jump through. At first it was the fans and we looked into a UPS for that and it was crazy high pricing…now after reading the code our inspector is telling us that the detector is all the code calls for. We still have to have a generator that kicks on within 30 seconds (we are currently clocking 16-17 seconds) so we should be ok with that part.

1 Like

Van Buren County. It is the state BFS inspector we are dealing with however.

Sent you a DM
If poss give me a call?
802-595-6400

You just need to bridge the gap between outage and generator start up? Lucky for you all of your control is 24 VDC. Just throw one of the Mean Well DR-UPS40 next to your power supply and hook up a couple of 7ah batteries in series. These will run all of your control for over an hour. If you want more time upgrade to 12ah batteries. Should be able to get it done for less than $100. Let me know if you want a diagram.

1 Like

I’m very interested in seeing it in a diagram. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have an idea what your getting at. I’ll dm you tmrw. Thx

Hire an electrician, I’m almost positive the gentlemen above will cost the same, or worse, more w/ green tax added

A qualified electrician can probably do it more cheaply. Ours definitely seemed more knowledgeable than the idiots on the other side othe HAL conference call for our specific needs.

I think we got it figured out. We are going to simply add a 2nd detector that has battery backup. It is a cheap one from Amazon but will do the trick.

2 Likes