Batter Not Setting Up - Any Ideas?

We have had 2 batches of concentrate recently that we have been trying to whip into a batter and can not get the product to set up after hours of whipping. The “batter” remains very loose and we can see tons of small bubbles in the product that rise to the surface as we are whipping them out. No matter how long we whip the product, the bubbles do not seem to go away and allow the product to form the batter consistency. Could this be moisture in the product? Kind of lost at the moment as to what could be causing the issue. Anyone seen this before?

Odd question- is it tangie? is the extract kind of dark?

6 Likes

Yep. 20% decarb will essentially keep the entire pan liquid.

9 Likes

Its no darker than anything we are used to producing. Not a tangie strain.

Are you saying the hot plate that we are whipping on is getting too hot? We have temped it just around 100*F.

Nope.

I’m saying that I have investigated pans I’ve had that remained liquid or had a larger than normal low viscosity fraction have showed higher than normal decarb per our in house hplc analysis.

You asked for possible explanations.

I’ve seen it. I investigated. That’s what I found. more than once.

Decarb is AN explanation. Not necessarily THE explanation.

How you might have decarbed is for you to figure out.

In my case the biomass came in the door decarbed.

13 Likes

Could be a couple things.
#1 old/decarbed material
#2 you’re getting your collection too hot during recovery.

6 Likes

moisture will do that. Are you drying out your solvent during recovery?

2 Likes

moisture can definitely be the culprit here from my past experiences, make sure your baking your Molecular Sieve beads and running a sieve column in-between your recovery tank and collection.

I’ve also noticed the longer trim sits around prior to being extracted the more likely the scenario your describing happens to me. (like 6 months old +)

@cyclopath answer is most likely the culprit. Seen alot of people get frustrated trying to crash stuff they got too hot in their collection

4 Likes